News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hi guys....I need some help here. I have a buckle that I can't Identify. If anyone has any info on this piece....it would be great if you could share with me! The construction appears pre ww2 and the prongs have appear to have the classic OLC cut. Other than that - I have no clue who would have used this type of buckle.

Any info would be great appreciated! Thanks in advance for your help!

Cheers!

Rob

Hey Tom! That's a start for sure....May I ask why you would go down that road? Is it the book behind the sword?

Cheers - and thank you for your opinion!

Rob

Yup, and the shape and finish of the body make me think 20's-30's.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I'm totally at a loss of what this buckle could be. Construction sure looks German, but the emblem? Nothing I can relate it to. The book and sword may point to an academic context. One thing is certain, however, it cannot be inter-war fraternal. Fraternities had (and have) many things that are reminiscent of a uniform, but no belt buckles.

Kind regards,

Kurt

Edited by Kurt D?nch

Hi, just posted my comments below:

Hallo Gentlemen :cheers:

any chance its for post WW2 German State Police? :unsure:

No!

What is actualy written / stamped on the lower part of the emblem? something in Latin??

Yes, Latin, but can't make out what it is. Knowing the motto might help identifying the emblem, if not the buckle.

Kevin in Deva :beer:

Kind regards,

Kurt

Edited by Kurt D?nch

Hi gang! I've had another collector mention the possibility of it being DUTCH! Here is a dutch police cloth badge with the same logo. As to when this buckle could have been manufactured is still a mystery....but it certainly looks like the typical 1920's or 1930's construction. The motto is latin: Vigilat ut quiescant " which means: " Guards so they may sleep " .

Cheers!

Rob

• 5 months later...

In the unlikely event it isn't that, didn't the German student fencing socieities have belt buckles? I have always known that they had a variety of cover, but I'm not familiar with belt buckles used by them.

The book/ sword combination would suit a German student fencing, or Mensur, association quite well.

Are belt buckles common as organisational markers in Germany? I know that American Freemasons wear them, along with several other organisations, do, but I'm not that familiar with German culture.

~TS

Hi TS....yes, you are right: many different organisations have their own belt buckles, from masons to carpenters, police and fire dept....the list goes on and on.....I guess this buckle could be from such an org. as you mention (fencing). The only clues I've gotten is that it is Dutch - but I still yet have to find any period pics to confirm it.

Thanks for your time - and your opinion!

Cheers!

Rob