News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Some unusual New Zealand patches

Have become a cloth picker late in my military collecting life. I collect mainly New Zealand patches and thought there might be some interest in these so thought I would show a few of the more interesting kiwi patches I have.

Have made a few little groups with badges I have picked up recently. The Royal NZ Airforce police dog and search and rescue dog patches are fairly self explanatory. The KOSAID 1999 patch was worn by kiwi?s from the army and airforce who were involved in the Humanitarian Transport Assistance to Kosovo Refugees (KOSAID). The round UNPROFOR patch was worn by NZ troops in 1995 in Bosnia. The Mine clearance Training Unit UNTAC and the NZNAVDET (naval detachment) patches, were worn in Cambodia in 1992-93 and are both of Asian manufacture. The EOD (explosive ordinance disposal) patch is an unofficial tri-service patch issued in 1992 to trained men serving with an EOD unit. Kiwis in Antarctica wear the last group of patches. The NZ Army Support Group or ?Horse? patch is one of my favourites. Horse the cat is from a famous cartoon series in NZ. The small Bomb Troop badge was an unofficial badge worn by Ammunition Technical Officers in Antarctica during the summer programme of 1988. The round kiwi ?Scott Base? patch is another unofficial patch worn for the summer or winter season 2005-2006.

Hope these have been of some interest and if you have any other kiwi patches feel free to show them here.

Cheers

Chris

Edited by ChrisB

• 9 years later...

Hi. Thanks ChrisB for this post.

I am a collector of New Zealand military and civil insignia. All items of my collection is on display at

www.militarywings.weebly.com

Please check it out if you are interested in New Zealand, and send me a PM say hi would be great to hear from you.

Cheers

Gareth

I'm Canadian, so we don't get to CHOOSE cold weather but why would any Kiwi in his/her right mind choose Antarctica? ;)

More seriously, though, why would Scott Base have Ammunition Technical Officers, who I assume are some kind of ordnance techs?  Surely they penguins aren't such a thread that the assigned personnel have to be armed?