News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hey gang....Here's a wicked nice clock I recently just received from the estate of a good friend. It was given to him along with a navy dagger in 1945 from the officer off a U-boat in Wilhelmshaven. Both this clock and the dagger were traded for a pack of smokes!! This clock holds a special place in my collection as it comes from a good friend who recently passed away at the age of 85. The stories he had to tell......

I've done a little work in finding out what this clock would have been for. It's called an "8 day clock" because it was meant to run for 8 days without having to be re-wound. It was situated near the radio operator's station and it was used in conjunction with a larger "8day clock".

If I got this right, the larger clock would show the current time while this smaller one was used to show the current German time back home.

I've taken some pics of the clock...it's not working at this point but would like to take it to a clocksmith to see if anything can be done about that. It's from Junghaus, a well known and respected German clockmaker and it's model is the J30E. These were used on U-boats as well as other KM boats....I know this one came off a sub as I got the story from the vet himself. Just wish I knew what sub it came off of.

I'll also post a pic of just where you would have found this clock in the sub and another pic of the same clock in its housing.

I think it's a rare thing to find a piece of a U-boat and knowing the history behind this piece makes it that much more special to me! Hope you guys like it!

Cheers!

Rob