News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

WW1 Group to Lewisham Brothers

Hi All,

I have been caught up with all things domestic recently, but still managed to pick up quite a few bits and pieces. Here is a grouping which covers both my areas of interest, medals to brothers and Southeast London.

Joseph J Hicks served as private 29838, first in the 20th London Regiment, then the Royal West Kent. I checked in my Regimental History of the 11th Lewisham Battalion of the RW Kent, so more research will be needed to find out which Battalion.

Joseph was entitled to the BWM and Victory pair, which are displayed here with his aluminium dogtag. Hope you like it,

Cheers

Gilbert

Edited by deptfordboy

And here are the medals to his brother, Pte William G Hicks 16003, who was entitled to 1915 trio, and a Silver Wound Badge, now missing. William was in the Middx Regiment, and later transferred to the Labour Corps.

So far, I have been unlucky finding either of them on the 1901 census, so I don't know where exactly they lived. I will get these researched at some point and maybe we will learn more...

Finally, here is the group all together. I have picked up about half a dozen singles and groups to Lewisham men from the 11th RWK and 20th London, including one chap who was born literally down the road from me, I'll post up details if there is interest.

Thanks for Looking,

Gilbert

Hi All,

I have been caught up with all things domestic recently, but still managed to pick up quite a few bits and pieces. Here is a grouping which covers both my areas of interest, medals to brothers and Southeast London.

Joseph J Hicks served as private 29838, first in the 20th London Regiment, then the Royal West Kent. I checked in my Regimental History of the 11th Lewisham Battalion of the RW Kent, so more research will be needed to find out which Battalion.

Joseph was entitled to the BWM and Victory pair, which are displayed here with his aluminium dogtag. Hope you like it,

Cheers

Gilbert

I have my father's 14/15 trio ;-

1656 Pte C.G.Wright 20th London

BWM & Victory

25243 Pte C.G.Wright RAF

Transferred to RAF in 1916 after being wounded 3 times.Living in Blackheath at time of enlistment.

John

I have my father's 14/15 trio ;-

1656 Pte C.G.Wright 20th London

BWM & Victory

25243 Pte C.G.Wright RAF

Transferred to RAF in 1916 after being wounded 3 times.Living in Blackheath at time of enlistment.

John

Did he enlist at Blackheath too? That's where I enlisted only quite a few years later.

Tony

Edited by Tony

You've aroused my curisosity- where was the 20th enlistment point in Blackheath, Tony? I know the 11th West Kent recruited at Lewisham Town Hall in Catford - would the 20th have enlisted men at what is now the Territorial Base on the Heath, or in the town itself?

John, do you have your ftaher's B'Heath address - it's likely still standing...

Cheers

Gilbert

Edited by deptfordboy

Gilbert,

When I joined up it was an any old Tom, Dick and Harry careers office. I was down there having lunch earlier in the year and went in search of the office but couldn't find it. It was on the left hand side of the main road through Blackheath on the way to Lewisham.

They did try to talk me into joining the Queens Regiment but I didn't. I received the Queen's fiver there, inflation eh.

How about more details on your recent buy and letting us know where you find them.

Tony

Hi Tony,

Yes I remember the recruiting office too - I used to anger my Mum as a kid with my assurances that I would enlist there when I grew up :D As far as I remember it's now a hairdressers/bathroom shop - sign of the times I guess.

I will provide more details on the brothers but they are proving hard to find on the 1901 census. On another note, I have a WW1 pair to a RWK Catford man who was a POW which is proving interesting... I'll post up some findings soon I promise.

Cheers

Gilbert