News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

An interesting item and considering who wore it, quite rare.

These were great to wear in the winter but pure hell in the heat of the summer.

As I was reminded many a time, these are bullet resistant, resistant not bullet proof. ;)

By the way, did you know these can be pierced by a Bic pen? :speechless1:

Regards

Brian

Brian - was this the same pattern as worn in Canada. What do you mean - a bic pen can penetrate ? Does kevlar only compact on high impact ?

Yes, I noticed it was the same as the one I wore here in Canada. We used a dark blue carrier that was worn on the outside of the shirt of the same colour. The carrier was made to look like a shirt, fake buttons and all.

To impress upon us that we were not indistructable because we were wearing a vest we were shown a demonstration where the vest was placed on two short piles of bricks and the area between the vest was unsupported. Then the instructor took out his Bic pen and drove to through the kevlar vest. No one spoke a word, just looked on in amazement. My vest was bullet resistant up to 44 mag., 12 gauge shot gun blast, puncture RESISTANT and slash proof. I still have my leather kevlar gloves somewhere and they too are puncture resistant and slash proof. A rifle bullet will zip right through the standard police vest, by the way.

One of the best things about wearing the vests while in a vehicle is that they are blunt-force trama resistant. When in an accident the steering wheel will cause a lot of damage to the chest and rib cage. The vest will disapate the force and many times there is no injury caused by the steering wheel at all.

You are correct it is the slower imact that allows the pen to penetrate. The saving grace is that when in wear it would not be very likely that an attacker would be able to strike the vest with a knife, or pen for that matter, at a perfect 90 degrees as was the case with the demonstration.

Cheers and thanks for bringing back fond (?) memories. :D

Brian

We live - and learn. I did think of bringing it to wear in S.A. - but, we have two 'savage' dachshunds for protection. The Met. are issuing these vests to protect against knife attack - if I read it right, you don't think it effective - what else could they use? Mervyn

We live - and learn. I did think of bringing it to wear in S.A. - but, we have two 'savage' dachshunds for protection. The Met. are issuing these vests to protect against knife attack - if I read it right, you don't think it effective - what else could they use? Mervyn

I didn't mean to say they were not effective. Against a slashing attack they are pretty well 100%. If the attacker was using a stabbing or thrusting move then he (or she) would have to hit the officer at 90 degrees to the surface of the vest and on top of that the officer's body will "give" as well so the momentum of the weapon would be absorbed. The example in the test was held quite rigid and there was almost no "give" to the area when it was struck. For their weight I think they are still your best bet. Here in Canada the use of a box knife (one of those cutters sold in harware stores with the retractable blade) is common on the streets. This is always a slashing weapon. It is used because the handle surface being groved will not produce good finger prints. I'm afraid this is getting way off topic and someone will probably point that out soon.

Regards

Brian