News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Police Uniform Buttons

1. Old uniform button from Portland, Oregon department

2. Staffordshire County uniform buttom (Can anyone give me any more information about when this was worn and what the Crown and rope stand for?)

Thanks in advance

The Staffordshire knot has been used by the Satffordshire Police for well over 100 years back at least to the Victorian period. When the Staffordshire County Police and the Stoke on the Trent City Police amalgamated in 1968 there was a discussion with the College of Heraldry who stated that the police could not use the knot as it actually belonged to the Stafford family. Things got ironed out and the knot remained in use by the Staffordshire Police.

I have a complete history of the Staffordshire knot somewhere but we are in the process of some renovations and I can not locate it at the moment. When I do I will post the full history.

There is a story that the knot was developed by an executioner when he needed to hang three criminals at one time. This is a good story but knowledagble sources I have personaly contacted tell me it is just that...a story.

Check out my Staffordshire Collection on the GMIC Members Gallery for more photos of Staffordshire Police memorabilia. I have included a photo of my latest addition here but have not had the time to add it to my gallery. My photo area is also packed away so the lighting is a little to be desired.

This is a lapel button for off duty wear from the George V (World War 1) period.

Regards

Brian

The Staffordshire knot has been used by the Satffordshire Police for well over 100 years back at least to the Victorian period. When the Staffordshire County Police and the Stoke on the Trent City Police amalgamated in 1968 there was a discussion with the College of Heraldry who stated that the police could not use the knot as it actually belonged to the Stafford family. Things got ironed out and the knot remained in use by the Staffordshire Police.

I have a complete history of the Staffordshire knot somewhere but we are in the process of some renovations and I can not locate it at the moment. When I do I will post the full history.

There is a story that the knot was developed by an executioner when he needed to hang three criminals at one time. This is a good story but knowledagble sources I have personaly contacted tell me it is just that...a story.

Check out my Staffordshire Collection on the GMIC Members Gallery for more photos of Staffordshire Police memorabilia. I have included a photo of my latest addition here but have not had the time to add it to my gallery. My photo area is also packed away so the lighting is a little to be desired.

This is a lapel button for off duty wear from the George V (World War 1) period.

Regards

Brian

BRIAN:

Thanks for the information. VERY informative. I really enjoy reading about the backgrounds of Departments and their equipment (whatever the country). Looking forward to reading about more when it gets posted.

That's the first WW1 lapel in for Staffordshire that I remember seeing - nice and crisp. Hope the 'building' is going well and you 'drowned ' that woman??????

Building is complete, now for the clean up and remembering where I put everything :speechless: .

Cheers

Brian