News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

My cased Imperial Service Medal collection

Hello everyone,

I've wanted to post this portion of my collection which is a "type" collection of Imperial Service Medals for some time and today I decided to take the time to do so. The photos of my collection will follow the short history.

The Imperial Service Medal

The Imperial Service Order was instituted in 1902 by King Edward VII as a means of rewarding long and faithful service in the Administrative and Clerical grades or the Civil Service, senior grades. Women were admitted to the Order in 1908. The ISO was silver with gold overlay.

Also in 1902 the Imperial Service Medal was instituted, it was the same as the ISO but for junior grades of the Civil Service and was silver and bronze.

In 1920 a circular medal was introduced for the junior grades and was silver. This is the subject of my post.

The circular ISM types are as follows with the number issued in brackets,

George V

Coinage profile 1920 - 31 (20,000)

Crowned bust, 1931 - 37 (16,000)

George VI

Crowned bust INDIAE:IMP 1938 - 48 (36,000)

Crowned bust FID:DEF, 949 - 52 (16,000)

Elizabeth II

Tudor crown BRITT:OMN, 1953 - 54 (9,000)

Tudor crown DEI:GRATIA, 1955 - (150,000 as of 2004)

Reference material: Medal Year Book 2004, Medal News

The following are photos of my collection. I have been fortunate to have one cased ISM with its award document. I have not seen a lot of these medals offered for sale with their document nor have I seen a lot of documents on their own which I find odd. Regardless I hope you like my small "type" collection of cased ISM. The last photo will show the obverse and the reverse.

Regards

Brian

Before I post the photo of the obverse and reverse a word about the cases. If, like me, you want to add missing cases to your collection beware that the inside of the lids are marked with the Royal Mint logo. That being the case there is a difference in that the cases for King George V and VI have the King's crown above the coat of arms and of course Queen Elizabeth II has the Queen's crown. It may not seen like a big deal but for some of us it is. Besides if you wait the correct type will surface. Following are photos of the two lid markings.

First, the King's crown.

Guest Darrell

As always if you have anything you would like to add to this post you are most welcomed.

Regards

Brian

Brian,

Nice collection. Another medal that's under appreciated.

I have a couple (and soon to add one that's a GVI issue to an Afghan pair).

Here's my two that I presently own:

1. John Alvey

And here's a look at the 1902 version

Imperial Service Medal (Geo V Star type), named (block) to John Tait Williamson, Sorting clerk / telegraphist, Falkirk, in case of issue EF London Gazette Vol. I, Jan – Mar. 1919, p. 1794

R Williams, abt 1985

Guest Rick Research

Aside from the "Imperial" designation no longer being accurate... these are STILL being awarded?

With the shrinkage and amalgamation of decorations, would have thought these "class" remnants would have been shed by the P.C. crowd running things? They don't seem to fit the One Size Fits All mentality applied to so much else. Curious that these are still around....