News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Rodesia, Natal and South African addition

Brian Wolfe

Hello Everyone,

Here is a really nice group of police items from Africa that found its way to my mail box just recently. I am quite happy to be adding them to my small but ever growing collection.

The shoulder title on the top, in blue, is from Rhodesia and the yellow one is for the British South African Police (BSAP) Special Reserve, 1965 - 80. They both measure 155mm at their widest, tip to tip, and 38mm wide.

I will photograph the buttons and cap badge and describe them in the next two posts.

Regads

Brian

Here are the buttons.

The buttons are from the Natal Police 1893-1919. In this case they display the crown of Edward VII, 1901 to 1910 and are quite scarce. The larger buttons measure 24.5mm in diameter and are held on by way of a single loop on the back, The button is two piece with the name J.R.CAUNT & SON BIRMINGHAM stamped in the back.

The smaller buttons are held on with the same single loop style fixture and measure 17mm in diameter. The two piece construction is stamped FIRMIN'S (then whatlooks like) IP LONDON.

I have a fondness for King Edward VII military and (now) police memorabilia and these buttons are a very welcomed addition.

Regards

Brian

The cap badge is from the South African Police which followed the Natal Police from 1913. This badge has the crown of King George V. Around the coat of arms are the words, SOUTH AFRICIAN POLICE with ZUID AFRIKAANSE POLITIE BELOW. My source informs me that Politie is high Dutch and that after 1926 it became Afrikaans Polisie so this would therefore place this cap badge before 1926.

The badge measures 37mm in width and 45mm in height. It was held in place by two loops on back with a cotter pin running through the loops.

Regards

Brian

Brian

I was pleased to find someone else with an interest in the Natal Police. I have a couple of spare Victorian NP buttons that are spherical in shape. If you want them, please pm me your address and I will post them to you.

Regards

Brett

Brian

I was pleased to find someone else with an interest in the Natal Police. I have a couple of spare Victorian NP buttons that are spherical in shape. If you want them, please pm me your address and I will post them to you.

Regards

Brett

Many thanks Brett, PM has been sent.

Regards

Brian

Ah crowned "NP" buttons - different lettering, but I'd still have got excited at the sight of them if 1314 had'nt identified this cap as Nigerian Police.

Hi Leigh,

I am confused by your comment about the cap (badge?), could you please elaborate? My being confused is getting to be a state of mind that is becoming more familiar with age. :rolleyes:

Regards

Brian

• 3 weeks later...

The SAPolice badge shown was worn from 1913 to 1925/26 when Dutch fell away to be replaced by Afrikaans.

ie

Zuid Afrikaanse Politie changed to

Suid Afrikaanse Poliesie spelling changed again in the 1930's to

Suid Afrikaanse Polisie

Forgot to mention it also comes in three sizes, the size shown is a unvoided Cap badge. Which comes in a voided and unvoided version and the unvoided version also comes in white metal (silver colour)

The voided is gilted and was worn by officers

The unvoided by other ranks

The unvoided white metal only worn by non-white Policemen

Edited by unit8