News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

12 th. LANCERS EPAULETTES

Last week I had this superb pair of silver officer's epaulettes come-in. Thought I would post them to give a 'bit of colour' back to the forum.

They are Victorian and I have tentatively dated them to the 1880's - however, it is not impossible that the Crown on the dress button could be William 4th (1830-37). With the Prince of Wales Feathers the link to one of his named regiments is obvious - but, which one ? I have - for the present - shown them as the 12th Lancers. I think this heavy pattern of epaulette was common for Cavalry, to protect against downwards sword strokes. However, full dress uniforms from those days had some very fanciful trappings and I am hoping the membership will be able to make a positive identification.

The workmanship is typically British of that era - even to a stamp saying left and right. I have not been able to find out anything further about the maker - only that they were top regimental tailors.

Outstanding item Mervyn. :jumping:

I never thougt of these as providing any protection from a sword cut but it makes sence.

Where except here at GMIC can we see such a variety of treasures?

Thanks for taking the time to share this find with us.

Regards

Brian

I thought I'd posted here earlier - but if I did, it's disappeared.

Nice, Merv

Speaking from a position of ignorance, I don't know if they're 12th Lancers or even cavalry items, infantry officers wore epaulettes too, & until a change in regulations in 1830 some wore silver lace.

It seems strange that then coronets would be left incomplete due to the hassle of portraying them, I wonder if there's a different reason for that aspect of the design?

Can you see the manufacturers marks on the buttons?

Edited by leigh kitchen