News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Klagenfurter Landwehr 1808

Bear

Hello,

My newest addition is a miniature portrait along with a couple of documents.

Klagenfurter Landwehr - Company 1

Hauptmann Jacob Liegl

I need all the help I can get since I can't read German Script.

I've been trying to find out if he saw any action during 1809, 1812, or the Wars of Liberation. I haven't found anything yet.

Google Books(German Script)

http://books.google.com/books?id=fYkAAAAAcAAJ&pg=PA356&dq=Klagenfurter+Landwehr+liegl&ei=3PRHS-6LMZC8yQSujYSCDg&cd=1#v=onepage&q=Klagenfurter%20Landwehr%20liegl&f=false

&

In this book his named is spelled Liegel.

http://books.google.com/books?id=eawAAAAAcAAJ&pg=PA187&dq=Klagenfurter+Landwehr+liegl&ei=3PRHS-6LMZC8yQSujYSCDg&cd=2#v=onepage&q=&f=false

thanks,

barry

German Infantry Regiment 26

Commanded by...

1814 Wilhelm, Prinz von Oranien-Nassau.

then he became...

1815 Wilhelm, König v. Niederland, FM.

or

William I Frederick/ William I of the Netherlands

Now let see what I.R. 26 did in 1814-1815.

His son commanded the Netherlands troops at Waterloo. I wonder if Hauptmann Jacob Liegl/Liegel was there too.

Edited by Bear

Barry, nice portrait of an interesting man.

Jacob Liegel born in Sankt Veit an der Glan, Kärnten, Austria

Baron von Kaisersteinischer Werksverweser (he was an administrator for the Baron Kaiserstein before he was given a commission)

Landwehr-Hauptmann Liegel commanded the first company of the I. Klagenfurter Landwehrbataillon in 1808 (the picture depicts him as such)

Then became Hauptmann of the Infanterie Regiment König-Wilhelm-der-Niederlande.

Hauptmann Liegel was wounded and captured in 1813, later (no date given) he died at the front near Udine of Dysenterie.

Edited by Naxos

Thanks Hardy :cheers:

I just knew that we could find Liegel. :beer:

It would seem that Leigel was taking part in action(Udine) in the Napoleonic kingdom of Northern Italy, 1813-1814. The Allies were fighting the French under Prince Eugene.

I'll have to hit the books...

The defense of the Napoleonic kingdom of Northern Italy, 1813-1814 By George F. Nafziger, Marco Gioannini

http://books.google.com/books?id=efhCkBhf7PIC&pg=PA26&lpg=PA26&dq=battle+of+udine+1813&source=bl&ots=9WDIsGEnti&sig=LmEzUGdHEnFJ09CAbysyB3sxcXs&hl=en&ei=-ghNS8SyKoj2NeCOgfoM&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=4&ved=0CBQQ6AEwAw#v=onepage&q=udine&f=false

thanks again,

barry

Hello,

Haupt. Liegel was probably taken prisoner in one of these actions in 1813. Maybe one day we'll get the answer.

The defense of the Napoleonic kingdom of Northern Italy, 1813-1814

By George F. Nafziger, Marco Gioannini

Action at Villach - 8/24/1813

page 31

The French took Hohenlohe-Bartenstein Austrian prisoners(250-300/ This number includes other regiments).

Action at Bassano - 10/31/1813

page 80

The French took Hohenlohe-Bartenstein Austrian prisoners (300/ This number includes other regiments).

Action at Vo - 11/10/1813

page 91

The French took Hohenlohe-Bartenstein Austrian prisoners (800/ This number includes other regiments).

Action at Brescia - 12/7/1813

page 116

The French took Hohenlohe-Bartenstein Austrian prisoners (100/ This number includes other regiments).

Some more info...

Jakob Liegel

married

MARIANNA OR MARIA ANNA TONITZINN OR TONIZ

Marriage: 28 FEB 1802 Voelkermarkt, Kaernten, Austria

Husband Age at Marriage: 36

Wife Age at Marriage: 22

If this is him he would have been around 48 years old(1766-1814)

Edited by Bear

" Zur Erinnerung

an den frölichen Nachmittag den ich

in Eurer werthen Mitte so traulich

zubrachte.

mit den herzlichsten

Grüssen und Küssen

Euer dankbarer

Hubertus

Alumnus d. III. Jahres"

In remembrance of the happy afternoon that I spent so pleasantly in your precious company. With heartfelt wishes and kisses - Your thankful Hubertus, Alumnus (scholar, student) of the third Year