News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

I agree with Simon - we don't get enough on Naval - although having said that there have been some interesting recent posts on our submarines and their ops.. To help with momentum I am attaching some shots of Naval cap bands. I had never realised that these were detachable - I suppose for winter and summer caps ? The officer's is straightforward - however, is there any difference in the two petty offs. ? Also, are they WW1 or, WW2 ? There is a possibility that they are Sth. Af. - although I don't think there is much difference.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi - Justn. I love that you live in Alaska - won't you come onto our World police Forum (here on GMIC) and show us some pictures of the Alaskan State Police and perhaps, tell us a little about them - for example, how do they operate in artic conditions ? Also, are there special home service military units ?

• 2 months later...

I had never realised that these were detachable - I suppose for winter and summer caps ? The officer's is straightforward - however, is there any difference in the two petty offs. ? Also, are they WW1 or, WW2 ? There is a possibility that they are Sth. Af. - although I don't think there is much difference.

The entire cap can be pulled apart, the same with the Junior Rates 'dog bowl'. This saves money as you can replace bits rather than the entire cap. I'm not sure if it was to facilitate changing between winter and summer as they should have received an issue of both. However, given space limitations (then and now), it would be easier to carry a cap cover rather than an entire lid for a season change.

The difference between the two Petty Officer cap badges may simply be an be a case of using what was available. The velvet type is still used today (my own cap badge being of this type).

The entire cap can be pulled apart, the same with the Junior Rates 'dog bowl'. This saves money as you can replace bits rather than the entire cap. I'm not sure if it was to facilitate changing between winter and summer as they should have received an issue of both. However, given space limitations (then and now), it would be easier to carry a cap cover rather than an entire lid for a season change.

The difference between the two Petty Officer cap badges may simply be an be a case of using what was available. The velvet type is still used today (my own cap badge being of this type).

The US Navy chief's / officer's cap is put together in the same way. We no longer use the blue cover, so you must be able to break it down to wash the white cover. We're still using a plain fabric cover (cotton?), although I believe the RN may have gone to plastic?

Hugh

The US Navy chief's / officer's cap is put together in the same way. We no longer use the blue cover, so you must be able to break it down to wash the white cover. We're still using a plain fabric cover (cotton?), although I believe the RN may have gone to plastic?

Hugh

Correct, the cover is now, and has been for a long time, plastic. However, you can still purchase the cotton cover. For 'onboard' wear, I have a lid with the cotton cover, and it looks very salty, and U-boatish.