News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

French Breast Badge

Jurgen Fritz

:rolleyes: Hello Gentleman,

Have someone any INFO on this Badge?

on Top the Ancor has 6.BMEO-6.Btl?Brigade Marine Etreme Orient? (Just to read) on back made by Drago Paris 43.Rue Olivier Metra I guess its a Commando Badge of the "Tigre Noir"?

For any friendly Help very Thanksfull

Best Regards

Jurgen

post-7135-005476000 1288098128_thumb.jpg

Hello Juergen.

I believe this unit crest to be that of the 6. Bataillon de March d'Extreme Orient (BMEO) . One of many locally (Indochina) raised formations with European cadres and affiliated with the French Troupes Coloniales as the anchor indicates. None of these BMEO's was deployed in D.B.Ph.during the 1953-1954 battle. However the D.B.Ph. area was occupied by French troops earlier during the conflict or one of the French members of the battle had served in the 6.BMEO previously and kept the unit crest.

Sadly it seems after the battle digging goes on there also....

Bernhard H. Holst

Hello Juergen.

I believe this unit crest to be that of the 6. Bataillon de March d'Extreme Orient (BMEO) . One of many locally (Indochina) raised formations with European cadres and affiliated with the French Troupes Coloniales as the anchor indicates. None of these BMEO's was deployed in D.B.Ph.during the 1953-1954 battle. However the D.B.Ph. area was occupied by French troops earlier during the conflict or one of the French members of the battle had served in the 6.BMEO previously and kept the unit crest.

Sadly it seems after the battle digging goes on there also....

Bernhard H. Holst

Hello Berhard,

Thanks for quick Answer-I really like to see a Badge in good Condition or a Picture of it-? (There are traces of red&green Enamel.)Was this the Commando Vandenbergh-"Black Tigers"?

Apart from some personel Value-what maybe is it worth?Its still an interesting Item I think..

Thanks for interest &Regards

Jurgen

Hello Juergen.

I am not a collector of French unit insignias but I venture to say that unit crests for small size units such as the BMEO will be hard to find. As to the value, who knows. Also I am not sure how long these units were in the Order of Battle. It was certainly not the insignia of Vandenberghe's commando. I am not sure whether it had the number 24 throughout but was mainly known as Commando Vandenberghe or had the number 24 assigned after his murder. It was stationed in Nam Dinh, Tonkin until the sector South was abandoned in the Summer of 1954 and never was as effective again.

Bernhard H. Holst

ex-2.Groupement Amphibie du 1.REC, 1951-1953 and 1954 - 1956

1. :rolleyes: Hallo Berhard,
    2. many Thanks for Your message,I see You Yourself served fife Years in Indochine,I had a german Friend at DBP and he told me some of this terrible Siege,from Your Name I assume You are German?-If You like You can contact me private on my E-Mail; address:juergenfritz1@hotmail.co.uk?
    3. I thought about Vandenbergh -the had a similar Beretbadge with Ancre&Tiger maybe the Tigre a favoured Symbol with the Vietnamese
    4. Best Regards
    5. Jurgen

This is a unit badge of the 6 BMEO as already advised. The 6 Battalion de Marche d'Extreme Orient were created in January 1950 from a cadre of Montagnards. They were stationed at Ban Me Thuot for their entire existence and operated in the Southern Zone and the mountain plateaus. The unit only existed for one year and in December 1950 it became the 6 Battalion de Montagnards Vietnamien. I am not sure if they kept the insignia after 1950. In this condition the badge is worthless. In very good condition, ie no enamel damage and the pin assembly intact, it can be found in France for EUR70-90 since it is not particularly scarce.

This is a unit badge of the 6 BMEO as already advised. The 6 Battalion de Marche d'Extreme Orient were created in January 1950 from a cadre of Montagnards. They were stationed at Ban Me Thuot for their entire existence and operated in the Southern Zone and the mountain plateaus. The unit only existed for one year and in December 1950 it became the 6 Battalion de Montagnards Vietnamien. I am not sure if they kept the insignia after 1950. In this condition the badge is worthless. In very good condition, ie no enamel damage and the pin assembly intact, it can be found in France for EUR70-90 since it is not particularly scarce.

Thanks Paul,

very interesting

Regards Jurgen