News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Brass plate commemorating retirement 1911

Hello Everyone,

This items just arrived and while it is not a medal it does represent the career of a police officer from Lincoln City.

There is no need to copy what is engraved on the brass plate here as I believe the photo shows that very well. With a retirement date of 1911 and with 30 years of service it would place his date of joining the service at 1881.

The plate measures 75mm by 28mm. As may be seen in the photos this was slid over some object and was secured with three screws or other such fasteners. Whatever the plate was afixed to was 5mm in thickness, judging by the space left for this purpose. The seller did not show this in the photo of the item and I had originally assumed it had been glued onto a picture frame or something along those lines. If this were flat and made today I would think it would have been attached with double sided tape. Any ideas as to what this was attached to?

Unlike most medals there is a good deal of information presented on this specimen, however if anyone has any more information they could share about this police sergeant it would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Brian

An unusual piece - and suitable for the quiz ? I thought at first it may have been for a walking stick - they were popular gifts. However, it is too flat. Perhaps a desk ornament or, a smoking set - again popular ? The shape would indicate though - a picture frame. It would slip onto the wood and could be screwed from the reverse ?

I don't suppose you will ever know for sure - although Lincoln may have a record somewhere - contact the main library and see what the paper reports for that date - if the Chief Constable was present there may well have been a photo and a press release.

Everyone should post what they think the gift was - and that will 'push' Brian to find out......

The 1911 Census for Lincoln has -

James GRAY b 1858 Watford,Hertfordshire,with wife Elizabeth b 1863 Horncastle,Lincolnshire -

Police Sergeant,resident at Police Station,Church Lane,Lincoln ( later the HQ of the Lincolnshire (County ) Constabulary.

As regards the original use of this plate,on mature and sober reflection I think it may well have been " wrapped " around a presentation cane/staff or similar,and subsequently removed and ' flattened ".

P.S. James GRAY

Plenty on him on Ancestry

Salient points -

188o - Married Elizabeth Willmott at Horncastle,Lincs

1881 - Living with her at Moores Yard,Horncastle,occupation given as Railway Porter - must have joined the Force shortly thereafter,unusual as a

married man

1901 - living at 5 May Crescent,Lincoln with Elizabeth,their two sons and one daughter,occupation Police Sergeant.