News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

WWII hero dies in Nepali village home

Tul Bahadur Pun, a Nepalese soldier who won Britain's highest military honour and later spearheaded the Gurkha rights campaign, has died in his home village, his lawyer said. Pun was awarded the rare Victoria Cross, the greatest possible decoration for bravery in the face of the enemy, for his extraordinary heroics in Burma in June 1944. He single-handedly stormed a Japanese machine gun position, under heavy fire. Pun's death leaves just one living recipient from World War II, and only eight in total. He died in his home village of Myagdi. His official age was 88, but his real age was thought to be 92.

Read the complete story and see the picture of Pun wearing his medals:

http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5gWlbcPqe4Da7LGalHUh8at_zgZRQ?docId=CNG.9057d69a3ac96dafe3eb30ac1711a0b9.d1

Jean-Paul

Jean-Paul - thanks for this advice notice. I was sorry to learn of his death - he was a great source of help for Ghurka veterans and of course - a very brave man.

One of the tragedies of recent years has been the great increase in the price of medals - this has led to some disgraceful acts. I have been told -by many people - that dealers make special trips to Nepal to buy the medals of old veterans - who of course have no idea of prices. Since he has a British lawyer we must hope that his VC Group will go to a National Museum - preferably in Nepal.