News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

METROPOLITAN POLICE - 1829 TO 1929

Eighty two years ago the World famous Metropolitan Police celebrated their first 100 years. Quite an achievement when it is remembered how unpopular they were when first founded. The Public thought that they were to be an 'Arm of Government' to suppress rights and freedom.

They were in fact about to be the first civilian Police Force - and would be copied by Countries around the World.

Many were the official banquets and parades to mark this occasion - however, it is these small commemorative certificates (A4 size) which were handed to every serving officer - which have preserved the day - as if in a time capsule. Over the 100 year span they have shown the buildings, the equipment, the different Branches and the First Commissioners and - of course - the Home Secretary, Sir Robert Peel. They would have been carefully framed and preserved for the families of proud officers' to show to visitors - but, alas - time has taken it's toll on men and their certificates and they are now very rare items. This is the only one I have ever had offered for my collection.

I loaned items for exhibitions on our 150th anniversary and hope that in 2029 you - just might - think back to this certificate from 1929.....

I will show the certificate split in two to make the details larger.

ACROSS TOP: 1829 Metropolitan helmet plate. Cypher for King George Vth. 1929

DOWN LEFT SIDE : The Watchman ; Bow Street Horse Patrol ; Police Telephone Box ; Lantern/Truncheons/Rattle/Arm Band.

ACROSS BOTTOM : Old Scotland Yard - 1829 ; Thames River Police 1786 ; Peel House, Metropolitan Police Training School. (I was in the last intake in 1967) ; Metropolitan Police River Police 1929 ; New Scotland Yard 1929.

DOWN RIGHT SIDE : Bow Street Runner ; Mounted Police ; Flying Squad (Prob. a Bentley at this date ); Torch (or, Beer mug?)/Truncheons;Arm Bands/Torch.

CENTRAL PICTURES : Sir Richard Mayne (Commissioner in 1829 with Colonal Rowan) ; Sir Robert Peel - Home Secretary in 1829.

The other people look to be past Commissioners.

Using the side pictures as themes, I will do a series of short articles on each.

• 2 months later...

I saw this thread when first posted but I've finally found a photograph I had of the senior officers which was taken at Scotland Yard to commemorate the 100th anniversary of the Met.

I can break it down into smaller sections and identify most of the officers if anyone is interested

I forgot to say - that is an excellent certificate you have there Mervyn

Edited by Odin Mk 3

Odin - I have never seen this picture and whilst I am sure that copies are hanging in different places - it is still rare. I think we would all appreciate seeing it sectionalised. Does it have a plan identifying each person ?

I have also just noticed your avatar - this is Met. Police and is one of the rare period when numbers were on the front. Brian has started a post on helmet plates and yours is an example he needs - perhaps you could add a thread ?

I am looking forward to seeing more of the portraits and thankyou for making this post. Mervyn

I have broken the picture into five sections (each around 120K). After I have posted the first part it won't allow me to add the next as I have exceeded the max 140K limit. Will try to see if there are others ways of posting the pictures.

Re the avatar - yes it is an earlier Met helmet plate which bore the officer's Division (F = Paddington) and the officer's Divisional Number (lower numbers were normally allocated to Sergeants). At that time the badges for inspectors just showed their division. I will dig out the few images I have of helmet badges.

I have just worked out that between 23/06/1900 to 27/03/1909 the helmet plate 38F was worn by PS Henry Lawless (Warrant Number 71470) - good name for a policeman!

Edited by Odin Mk 3