News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Belgian Grenadier LtCol.

Belgian Grenadier Lt. Colonel. Dedicated in 1898 form colonel M. to quartermaster capt. B on french language (I can't read the names).

His medals in bigger size:

1. Order of Leopold Knight's Cross civilian division

2. Civic Decoration for long and distinguished service in the administration

It seems both medal is civilian...any idea for the reason?

Edited by Markgraf

Maybe a civilian government official commissioned into service. This has happend early in United States history. During our Civil War, the government of oposing forces would commission highly educated or placed civilians as officers and then these officers would raise troops for the cause. This happened in my country to teachers, mayors, lawers etc. Many never having any formal military training. Could this be the case here? Just an idea. If he had received his civilian awards after his military service, I would suspect there would be more military related awards and orders.

Thank You Guy again!

What was the difference between Army and the Garde Civique officer uniform? They wore different insignias? As far as I can, the other ranks of the Garde Civique was only partially uniformed...