News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

WW2 - Gold Sweetheart Brooches

Since we no longer have a dedicated Forum for the Airforce - a pity, but just so few entries - I am

posting here a number of Sweetheart brooches.

These probably started in the time of the Boer War and were Regt. or, Unit insignia turned into items of jewellery

for wives and sweethearts to wear - and therefore, show their support for their men. The practise became very common in

WW1 and continued into WW2. Whilst many are still made they do not seem to be so common these days.

The popularity for collectors really started with the books by the famous comedienne - Joanna Lumley. She outlined their background - showed examples of different types and gave a guide to prices.

I have had may different examples over the years and have made previous posts - these are some good examples,

mostly in 9ct. gold. British class distinction even extended to these little items. Those set with diamonds would be for senior officers' wives - gold - probably for officers' backgrounds - and silver or, chrome for the wives of o/r's. Thank goodness we have 'grown-up' a little since those day.

This first example has the South African Airforce coat-of-arms and is in 9ct. gold and enamel.