News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Evacuation of a strong point , Tonkin (North Vietnam), 2/3 January 1953

Hello readers.

This event of a long time ago is still much on my mind and is one of the more discouraging actions I was a witness of. I decided not to reveal the name of the commander of the temporarily formed battalion . Let me call him Major X., the battalion of which he was put in command and which was tasked with the evacuation of a strong point isolated for some time, consisted of:

- one company Algerian Rifles;

- one company of the Colonial Infantry under the command of Lt. Agnew. It consisted of mostly Vietnamese riflemen with French cadres. We had been in the field with them several times before and valued their performance;

- the Commando Petit of the Amphibious Group of the1.Chasseurs, This unit was well known to us, having been on operation with us many time before;

- one company of the newly formed Vietnamese National Army which had been on operation with us before and can safely be called unproven and under questionable command. Our company commander, Captain A. Viard who on several occasions was in command of a hastily formed provisional battalion had in the past kept a careful eye on this unit and guided their commander.

- our company which was available for tasks to perform on foot when our heavy amphibious vehicles were in required maintenance or were waiting for repairs or spare parts.

An early morning departure by Amphibious Landing Craft brought us to an outpost on the Red River from which we proceeded on foot to the strong point of Phu Ke about 4 km away. The trail we followed was heavily damaged by the cutting of alternate , partial trenches in the roadbed which made it too narrow for vehicles. We were to form a security corridor through which the evacuation could safely proceed.

Photo shows a like damaged road, here RC 1 (Route Coloniale 1)

Photo shows 3. and 4. Squads of 1.Platoon with Marechal des Logis Mahieu.

The day was spent into the afternoon watching the troops with their families leaving. Warning of impending explosions reached us and we saw and heard the place blowup. This included a GMC 2 1/2 ton GMC.

Photo shows this writer on his SCR 300, watching the X-Officer's, (the Lt.X.de Cacqueray') carbine and helmet and the First Aid Kit of our Corpsman, shortly before the big bang.....

The Vietnamese company was stationed to one side and was to disengage last, not a sound decision by Major X as it turned out. While our company being moved out ahead of the last which was still in their flanking position , a small village when I noticed a good number of black clad figures approaching that place at a great rate of speed through the rice fields. This meant nothing but trouble which was not long in coming. The Algerian Riflemen began firing their 57 mm Recoilless Rifle without effect. Our company commander briefed the X-Officer and went towards the firing apparently in an effort to help.

Lt. de Cacqueray detailed a number of Legionnaire cadres under our Company Sergeant Major Tabournel as rearguard while the rest of the company under their Vietnamese cadres were to continue towards the point of re-embarkation. The Battalion Commander when asked for instructions by Lt. de Cacqueray did not respond but told his radio operator to close the set and said and these were his words:" sauve qui peut!"(Loosely translated" each man for himself"". Lt. de Cacqueray looked at me with an expression I am unable to describe , anger, disappointment? Our Vietnamese elements were together and he held them in place while the Algerians drifted by, losing equipment and things, giving a sorry picture.

Our company commander rejoined us, bringing a walkie-talkie (SCR 536) he had recovered. Not a sign of the Vietnamese Army people. No radio contact .

Captain Viard was able to contact the remaining units which had not given any sign of disintegration namely those of Lt. Petit and Lt. Agnew and assumed command. Setting up a hedgehog we spent a hungry and restless night.

Next morning a search was conducted without results. Later we reembarked after finding our rucksacks where we had left them at the strong point under our guards.

I have to admit to very uneasy feelings when the rearguard was detailed of which a number of good comrades were part. Would I see them again?

Our Company Sergeant Major and commander of 1.Platoon, Marechal des Logis-Major Tabournel and the Brigadier The.

Our company commander Captain A. Viard when reembarking for the trip home after that unfortunate event, with his batman , Leg. Zenov

Bernhard H. Holst

formerly of the 1.REC in Vietnam, 1951 - 1953 and 1954-1956