News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Baltic Medal 1854-1855

Hello All

My brother has asked for my opinion on this Baltic medal he has recently brought.

The medal is silver (has the right feel /weight to be solid silver)

The details are very fine and it has the correct marks for designer and marker. What I not sure about is the apparent thinning of the rim at 12 and 6 o’clock.

However on looking at some examples for sale on Ebay and other dealers it would appear this may possibly be normal for the Baltic medal

I have looked at some of the copies of this medal and many appear to be of very average quality.

Can anyone confirm that the apparent thinning on rim is ok for original Baltic medals?

Regards Les

comparing with one in my possession which I know to be genuine I can see know obvious problems. I have seen this edge irregularities on other medals, given the thickness it does not appear to be a French made copy and there is no sign of it having ever been named, my example weighs 35.03 grams so unless there is a noticeable discrepancy I can't see a problem.

Paul

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Paul thanks for the info

Brother has checked the medal weight and it comes in at 35 grams.

You mention French copies; where these made by the French authorities or by individual suppliers.

I would be interested if you had any more info to offer on French copies

Regards

Les

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Les and Paul

Generally speaking, Baltic Medals are rather unusual, if not scarce, on the French market. This to say that I personnally cannot remember seing or hearing of a French made medal.

French made Crimean Medals of course exist, but they don't turn up all that frequently. They usually sell at a premium. But French made Baltics...

They possibly exist. But as Paul says, the French manufactured medals are easy to spot : they NEVER swivell, often have a "boar's head" hallmark and are struck on thinner flans.

I would agree with Paul : the medal Les refers to is probably genuine.

All the best

Paul

Paul

For a French made example of the Baltic Medal see ANS part 2, lot 588, sold with a 2 clasp French Crimea, made more than double the estimate which would seem to confirm your view as to the rarity of the French made Baltic, the piece mentioned was on anotably thineer flan.

Paul