News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Looking for info on two General's. von Schlieben!

Gents (Rick ;) ),

I am looking for info on two General's with the surname von Schlieben (I know there's a few of them!!!).

1) Johannes Anton Dietrich von Schlieben. geb. am 2.3.1893 in Dresden. Generalmajor 1.1.1943 (see image)

2) Egon von Schlieben. Dietrichs' father...last rank Generalleutnant, died 1934.

Thanks in advance,

Ian

Edited by ian jewison

Greetings old Namesake!

Egon Friedrich Wilhelm von Schlieben born at Niederfriedersdorf on 13 Nov 1852-27 Dec 1933 was a Saxon Infantry Officer originally commissioned in Sch?tzen-(F?silier-) Regiment "Prinz Georg" Nr. 108. Prior to his appointment as commander of the 2nd Grenadiers he had risen to be the second in command (Oberstleutnant beim Stabe) of this regiment.

Sekondelieutenant: 2.11.74

Premierlieutenant: 1.4.81

Hauptmann: 1.4.87 Rr

Major: 21.4.97

Oberstleutnant: 22.3.01

Oberst: 11.9.03 A

Generalmajor: 21.5.1907 (ohne Patent) 24.2.1908 (Patent 18.2.1908 B?)

Char. Generalleutnant: 23.5.11

11.9.1903-25.3.1907: Kdr. 2. Grenadier-Regiment Kaiser Wilhelm, K?nig von Preussen Nr. 101

25.3.1907-21.5.1907: Kdr. 6.k?nigl. S?chsische Infanterie-Brigade (mFb)

21.5.1907-24.9.1910: Kdr. 6.k?nigl. S?chsische Infanterie-Brigade

24.9.1910-23.9.1913: Kommandant von Dresden

23.9.1913: Retired with pension and the right to wear Generals? Uniform

Recalled at mobilisation he once again became Kommandant of Dresden.

Regards from Deutschland

Glenn

Thanks very much Glenn,

I have something to go on now....there's absolutely nothing I could find out about him on the web anywhere...his son is not much better either!

Incidentally I have been digging around abit with the family history and you look very much like my Grandfather (around WWI!) so we could well be related somewhere...will keep on digging..no family inheritance though!

Any idea what awards young Dietrich is wearing in the photo? He is entitled to the S?chsischer Milit?r St. Heinrichs Orden and some S?chsischer Albrecht Orden Ritterkreuz or Komturkreuz (?) 2 Klasse mit Schwertern but no idea which is which

:beer:

Ian

Edited by ian jewison

Ian,

Johannes Anton Dietrich von Schlieben 2 Mar 1893-27 Apr 1984. A former Saxon cadet, commissioned in the Garde-Reiter-Regiment (1. schweres Regiment) he remained on active duty with the Reichsheer between the wars. I am not sure when or how he became qualified as an engineer officer!

F?hnrich: 8.2.13

Leutnant: 24.2.14 (Patent 22.6.12)

Oberleutnant: 2.8.17 J (Reichsheer Patent 18.8.17 (16))

Rittmeister: 1.4.25 (21)

Major: 1934

Oberstleutnant: 1.10.36

Oberst: 1.6.39

Generalmajor: 1.1.43

1920-1932: 12. (s?chsisches) Reiter-Regiment

1933: Stab 2. Kavallerie-Division

1.10.35-1.3.39: Kdr. Pionier-Bataillon 42 (mot)

3.39-10.39: Kdr. Pionier-Bataillon 86 (mot)

10.39-Early 42: Armee-Pionierf?hrer 6. Armee

1.7.42-End 43: Kdr. Annahme-Stab f?r Offizier Bewerbe. V (Admissions staff for officer applicants)

Mar-May 44: Gen. z.b.V. Heeresgruppe S?d (General for special employment)

May-Aug 44: Gen. z.b.V. Heeresgruppe Nord

Aug-Dec 44: Kdt. Befestigung Brabant (Fortress Brabant)

Jan-May 45: H?h. Pi. Kdr.

He is wearing the Cross of an Ehrenritter of the Johanniter-Orden on the left breast. He was awarded the Knight's Cross of the St- Heinrichs-Orden on the 14 Oct 1915 for his conduct on the 9 Sep 1915 during the assault on the heights of Ballin-Dessau south of Friedrichstadt in Courland by the 23. Kavallerie-Brigade.

Shame about the inheritance :P

Regards

Glenn

Once again many thanks Glenn,

I don't have Dietrich's items yet but they are on the way to me, unless they are sent to you again and you pay for them :cheeky:

But I will post more when they arrive.

One more question though, what exactly is the Ehrenritter of the Johanniter-Orden and is there any way of finding out the date of this award?

:beer: again,

Ian

One more question though, what exactly is the Ehrenritter of the Johanniter-Orden and is there any way of finding out the date of this award?

:beer: again,

Ian

Ian,

It literally translates as Honour Knight of the Order of Saint John. This is a German, Protestant, branch of the Military and Hospitaller Order of Saint John of Jerusalem (commonly called the Knights of Malta). You have your own version there in the UK known as the Venerable Order of Saint John in the British Isles, they also run the St. John Ambulance Corps. The Johnitter Order still exists today and HRH Dr. Oskar Prinz von Pruessen is the current Herrenmeister. They have a great website (all in German) located at http://www.johanniter.de/org/orden/deindex.htm

Edited by Mike Dwyer

Glenn,

Not meaning to hijack the topic, but wasn't the Johanniter Order a bit out of favor during the Third Reich? Wasn't it kind of politically incorrect for von Schlieben to be wearing the white cross on his Wehrmacht uniform? I know others did this too, I've seen photos, but I remember reading somewhere that the Order had some very hard times under Hitler. I would think it could cause problems for a career military officer.

Edited by Mike Dwyer

Thanks Mike,

Actually surfing the net I found out a little about the award and that it was not favoured by the Third Reich, even to the point of stopping the career of certain individuals if they continued to wear their award on their uniform.

If I remember correctly the thread was on the Axis History site....Members of the Johanniter Order

/IAn

Thanks Mike,

Actually surfing the net I found out a little about the award and that it was not favoured by the Third Reich, even to the point of stopping the career of certain individuals if they continued to wear their award on their uniform.

If I remember correctly the thread was on the Axis History site....Members of the Johanniter Order

/IAn

Thanks, Ian, a very interesting list!