News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

9th Armored Division - Remagen - shoulder patch

IrishGunner

I've had this shoulder patch for for over 30 years. I received it in 1982 from an honorary colonel of the 3rd Artillery; 3rd Field Artillery Bn was part of 9th AR Div in WWII. I have no idea when it was produced or if it's even an "official" patch...although my thinking is that it's a reproduction.

Thoughts?

Hello Rick!

Well, first, the colour of the triangle border looks a bit off. As I recall, the border seam of US patches matches the colour of the dress uniform, and I'm not sure this one does. Second, did the 9th Armored Division ever have the tab attached? The patch-tab combination is - to my knowledge - a later construction. Nevertheless, it has a story behind it, which certainly gives it a place in the collection!

In the Plzen area there's quite a number of 16th Armored Division patches floating around - some WW2 vintage, some most probably not - and they don't look similar to this patch (no tab - the 16th never wore a tab - and different colour of the border seam).

/Jonas

Hello Rick!

Well, first, the colour of the triangle border looks a bit off. As I recall, the border seam of US patches matches the colour of the dress uniform, and I'm not sure this one does. Second, did the 9th Armored Division ever have the tab attached? The patch-tab combination is - to my knowledge - a later construction. Nevertheless, it has a story behind it, which certainly gives it a place in the collection!

In the Plzen area there's quite a number of 16th Armored Division patches floating around - some WW2 vintage, some most probably not - and they don't look similar to this patch (no tab - the 16th never wore a tab - and different colour of the border seam).

/Jonas

Jonas, I have to agree with you... I thought the border on WW2 armored division patches was more "khaki" than green. And I think you are right; the 9th AR Div didn't have a tab. And if it did, it would've been "Phantom" - the Division's nickname. I don't think there ever was an official "Remagen" tab.

Thanks for confirming my suspicions. Hey, it didn't cost me anything...so no problem ;)

In "U.S. Military Shoulder Patches of the United States Armed Forces" 5th ed (Britton & Washington Jr), a yellow on dark khaki / brown Remagen tab is shown for the 9th Armored Division (same design for the 4th-9th Armoured Divisions, black on yellow for 1st-3rd Armored Divisions, among others).

/Jonas

• 1 year later...

This is a made for collectors patch and is not period. The border which is what is called AG is post war,should have kacki border. The tab is the key piece;it is extremely rare and expensive and has a depiction of the bridge in black and the lettering. Mort