News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Imperial German Navy--Who wore what knots?

Please help me on this as my brain is giving out!

Portepees--Both sword and dagger were worn by ---

1. Officers and Unterofficiers with portepee (wore the portepee with both sword and dagger)

2. Unterofficers without portepee (wore daggers and swords without any knot).

3. Other ranks below Unterofficier wore troddel on either bayonet or "other ranks" sword.

4. If an officer wore a bayonet for dress he could wear it with the portepee.

Please help me understand this correctly.

vic

Vic,

Officers and Unterofficiers with portepee (wore the portepee with both sword and dagger)

Yes, but Nco's with portepee would have only been senior Petty Officers.

Unterofficers without portepee (wore daggers and swords without any knot).

No, would not wear the sword or dagger.

Other ranks below Unterofficier wore troddel on either bayonet or "other ranks" sword.

No, only landing parties wore a bayonet. It was not a standard item of uniform to be worn everyday. They would have been issued out to the landing party and then returned to the armory when they came back aboard ship. To my knowledge only the See Battalions (marines)wore a knot. There was no other ranks sword. The swords with issue marks were only issued to senior petty officers.

If an officer wore a bayonet for dress he could wear it with the portepee.

For dress, the officer would wear the sword. In 1915 army officer were told not to wear their swords in the field. In this case they wore custom purchased bayonets with their sword knots on them. There was no such order for the naval officers not to wear their swords since most served shipboard. The only naval officers who "might" have worn bayonets were those serving in the field in the naval divisions. More than likely they wore their daggers instead.

I hope this helps.

Dan Murphy

Dan:

Thanks for a most informed answer, I needed the help.

Vic :beer:

Vic,

Officers and Unterofficiers with portepee (wore the portepee with both sword and dagger)

Yes, but Nco's with portepee would have only been senior Petty Officers.

Unterofficers without portepee (wore daggers and swords without any knot).

No, would not wear the sword or dagger.

Other ranks below Unterofficier wore troddel on either bayonet or "other ranks" sword.

No, only landing parties wore a bayonet. It was not a standard item of uniform to be worn everyday. They would have been issued out to the landing party and then returned to the armory when they came back aboard ship. To my knowledge only the See Battalions (marines)wore a knot. There was no other ranks sword. The swords with issue marks were only issued to senior petty officers.

If an officer wore a bayonet for dress he could wear it with the portepee.

For dress, the officer would wear the sword. In 1915 army officer were told not to wear their swords in the field. In this case they wore custom purchased bayonets with their sword knots on them. There was no such order for the naval officers not to wear their swords since most served shipboard. The only naval officers who "might" have worn bayonets were those serving in the field in the naval divisions. More than likely they wore their daggers instead.

I hope this helps.

Dan Murphy