News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Help with translation please. Post 1/5

Brian Wolfe

Hello Everyone,

While at a gun show on the weekend I noticed a group of Japanese items on a dealer’s table that I’ve noticed there for the past several shows. I never looked at this grouping too closely as his prices were two or three times what they should have been. Each show he seemed to push these items farther to the back edge of his table and there was always something partially covering them; a photo, book or uniform for example. This time I decided to at least look at the pieces more closely. There was a nice lacquered sake cup that was priced below market value that caught my eye. Upon picking up the cup the dealer, seeing my interest, said that he would give me a great deal if I wanted the lot. I asked; he offered; I fainted. Well I didn’t faint but I certainly couldn’t hide my excitement at his price. It was obvious that he had kept these items on his table from show to show long enough and wanted to get some of his money back from them.

I usually purchase my Japanese items, medals, sake cups, merit award etc. from known dealers, some who are members here. This assures me that some if not all of the translations are done for me at the time of purchase. This seller seldom purchased anything such as this so was of no help to me. So I am coming to the membership for assistance with my dilemma. I have gone through the few books I have on the subject and checked out a very good site on the internet, (Rich’s web page; I highly recommend this site to all). In the end I am left no more enlightened than when I started. If you could please give me some assistance it would be greatly appreciated.

I will post each of the five items in a separate post to help avoid confusion (mine) and note in the subject line 1/5, 2/5 and so on.

Thank you in advance for any assistance you can extend to me.

Regards

Brian

The first photo is of the group I purchased. For me a real treasure trove.

In this post I would like to deal with just the Sake Cup Tray.

There are two images of kanji that were made at the same time as the tray and therefore would no doubt (in my mine) be generic to all trays sold by this manufacturer.

This is a close-up of the next translation I would like help with.

Here is a close-up of the writing at the top of the tray.

Thanks again for any help you can give me.

Regards

Brian