News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Trench Art Lighters & etc. Galore *** RECOMMENDED

#26: French "coins."

This one brings up a good point. Note the date on the "coin". "Trench Art" is a catch-all term for just about anything, and most of it never got anywhere near a trench. Here is a good example.

#27. Italian King Vic. I'm pretty sure this one does not possess its original cap. Those little caps are usually the first thing to go. This one looks like part of a wrist watch stem!

Edited by Ralph A

#28. Queen Vikki. Some previous owner retro-fitted a new cap to this one, and disfigured the stem.

Better if he had left it without a cap altogether.

Edited by Ralph A

#33: Whose crown is that? I don't know what the little holes were for; probably were part of the nut from which this lighter was made. Great little wick cover. I like when the artisan took the time to sweeten up the parts.

#36: Clodion Jerrican lighter.

A previous owner slathered cheap bronze paint all over it, then picked it up before it was dry. I wonder if the fingerprint he left is in the National Criminal Database?

Edited by Ralph A

Ralph - I must congratulate you on a very unusual collection. What I don't understand is that you have had 128 views - but

no one has commented.

Many people collect the English Trench lighters - they were made mainly in the Base workshops. Probably most were made

for personal use, but I expect many were also made to be sold to those who didn't have the use of the workshops. This

accounts for the different units and badges. Because the greatcoat buttons made an ideal side panel they are usually used -

perhaps the troops could buy the little petrol lighter to fit-in the case . However, I think it more likely that the entire lighters

were made in the workshops.

Where your collection has added interest is in the numbers of lighters from other Countries. They have been made in the same

way using large buttons - however, the variations in shapes and materials on many of them add considerably to their value as

a collection. I don't know what you pay for them - we used to sell the British ones for about 10pounds ($16).

I notice that you also collect the little cases to hold matches. These are called Vesta Cases and held sulphur matches - the

kind you strike on a rough surface. Small girls used to sell them from trays around their necks - you bought the number you

needed. They were carried on the chain of the pocket watch and usually went into the left pocket of the waistcoat, with the watch

in the right one. These were used by officers during the 1stWW - and often they had larger capacity ones made - often

holding up to 50 matches.

Vesta cases in silver usually sell for about 60 Pounds ($95) - however, if they have a very interesting decoration they can sell

for much more.

I hope other members will add any in their collections to your post. Best wishes Mervyn

• 3 weeks later...