News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Found a 1923 mauser in a local shop. Need advice...

I found a 1923 Mauser Rifle in a shop in town here in Idaho in original issue condition, no sporterization. Looks like the GEW 98 but up dated site. Has the Cleaning rod. Looked nice. Lots of blue. Had a brass color disk in the butt, pretty shinny. Have no idea how rare a find it is but it's only 249.00 for the gun.

Is this a steal? Could it be resold for more? Also what do I look for or avoid in a mauser of this year? I am not too interested in it but I could pick it up for a trade.

Mike

Hun Helmet,

This is probably a swedish 1896 mauser, many were made by Mauser Oberndorf. Thats is an OK price but not great even if it is in nice shape.

I will take another look at it. I can tell you it's marked Gew98 and Oberndorf might have been on the receiver but I don't know for sure. The rifle was definatly German army issue at some point in time. Did the Sweeds make rifles for the Germans?

Mike

When you look at it again write down all of the markings and what the proofs look like. To my knowledge the german military never made a 98 with a brass stock disk. Steel, yes. Brass, no. Also, the german military had enough guns left over from WW1 to more than satisfy their needs for years to come, I do not believe they needed to make any more in the 20's unless they were under contract to another country to raise money. Most German reworked Gew 98s were reworked in the 30's and the sight assemblys bear codes like s/42 etc. When you get all your info you should repost in the firearms section. Perhaps someone there can figure out what it is. I do know the czechs reworked a lot of Gew 98's in the 20's and even manufactured them, it may be a czech rework. Not much collector interest there.