News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

2 police Medals - Help please

Hi All,

I have 2 police medals and I cant find anything online about the man.

The 1st medal is the 1887 Victoria Jubilee in bronze with 1897 bar - this is named to PC J King L Division

The 2nd medal is the 1902 Edward VII Coronation medal in bronze - named to PS J King N Division (in original box, with ribbon, never worn)

Does anyone have the rolls or any other information that would flesh him out 

Kind Regards

Nigel

Welcome to the GMIC, Nigel.  I'm on the wrong side of the Atlantic, and not a police collector, so can't help with these but I'm sure some of the members will be able to provide research hints and possibly even hard data on the two PCs.  

Glad you've joined us!

Peter

Guest pikemedals

Hi Nigel your officer is a James king warrant number 65563 joined 04/04/1881 L division. Left 09/04/1906.he was a station police sergeant.L division was Lambert N division was Islington.1887 medals to L divn was 339 his 97 clasp was for C division and by then a PS.42 clasps for C division to PS.1902 N division to PS was 95 hope that help.I do have the print out for the surname king police orders. I post him in a few days time that tells you all the dates paul

Edited by pikemedals

Thats great information,

Its a shame I cant seem to pin him down on ancestry. I did find a John King as a Policeman in Lambeth and later Islington who did fit the biĺl but the name James has thrown me a curvebaĺl

I'll need to plough through ancestry again. I dont suppose your references gave a date or place of birth 

Kind Regards

Nigel

Guest pikemedals

Hi nigel find this for you.on the 22/08/1891 PC James king PC 61 l divn. To PS 19 c divn,11/12/1897 ps 19 to ps 3r c.divn.on 26/06/1899 PS 3cr to sps 3 n divn,on 09/04/1906 SP's 3 n divn pensioned. can't find him as a 1911 rejoined so you got all his police medals.the numbers before the division are his collar number.paul

Edited by pikemedals

Thanks Paul for the reply,

On 11.12.97 you mention he was rebadged from 19 to 3r, do you have any idea why this would happen,

Can I also ask what does the r stand for and what is the difference between the r and the other reference you mention 3cr

Kind Regards

Nigel

As a newcomer I'm trying to expand my knowledge so can I ask about the SPS rank

If James was promoted to Station Police Sergeamt in 1899, why is his 1902 medal stamped PS. Was SPS not a formal rank?

Kind Regards

Nigel

Found him.

James King - born 27/05/1960 Wiltshire, 1 of 5  to John, a postman and Sarah

1871, Living with parents, Stanton St Quinton, Wilts

1881, Police Candidate, residing 58 Millbank St, London

1891, Police Constable, residing 45-47 Kennington Police Station, Lambeth

1893 James, a sergeant married Emma Pickerill of Newcastle-under-Lyne

1894 Son, Stephen James born 

1896, Son, William Henry born

1901, Daughter, Lilian Sarah born

1901, Police Sergeant, residing 14 Waterloo Road, Leyton, Essex

1911, Retired Police, Claims Superintendent, Great Eastern Motor Bus Co. Ltd, residing 14 Waterloo Road, Leyton, Essex

1911 Son Stephen James King died aged 17, Oct-Dec 1911, Whitechapel

1915. Son William Henry King Killed in Action WW1. No known grave
    CWGC details
    Corporal 11956
    Date of Death:15/06/1915 Age:19
    Wiltshire Regiment 2nd Bn

Records after these dates for James, Emma and the daughter Sarah to be verified

Regards Nigel

Guest pikemedals

Sorry Nigel to get back to you late.1st when he went from 19 to 3R.R is for reserve. He is still in the police.going back to naming on the police medal they never put SPS on the medals paul