News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Consulting:About the Engraved Name of USA Medals

JamesBy

HI guys:

I have a doubt that is only the official Issued  medals  Engraved Name?and what's the differents between the  official Issued version & the Commercial version?

Thanks

James

IMG_6324.JPG

HUGE questions! There is an OMSA article about this topic and the OMSA Bronze Star monograph goes into great detail. Bottom line is -yeah-big differences. During the war specific machines were used and some collectors can actually tell which operator engraved the names by their 'writing' . War time issues tended to be for KIA or VIPs only.

the vast majority of these were awarded unnamed and lots of vets later had them privately engraved. I did my Dad and Uncles in the 1980s at our local trophy shop. 

Fakers of course try to augment unnamed pieces wit names, but honestly a guy like Carson was brace,but obscure. Finding the details of his award would take real work and would cost more to research than to engrave. The " profit" is not there-at least for BS or GC  or Merit medals. 

Edited by Ulsterman

22 hours ago, Ulsterman said:

HUGE questions! There is an OMSA article about this topic and the OMSA Bronze Star monograph goes into great detail. Bottom line is -yeah-big differences. During the war specific machines were used and some collectors can actually tell which operator engraved the names by their 'writing' . War time issues tended to be for KIA or VIPs only.

the vast majority of these were awarded unnamed and lots of vets later had them privately engraved. I did my Dad and Uncles in the 1980s at our local trophy shop. 

Fakers of course try to augment unnamed pieces wit names, but honestly a guy like Carson was brace,but obscure. Finding the details of his award would take real work and would cost more to research than to engrave. The " profit" is not there-at least for BS or GC  or Merit medals. 

REALLY REALLY THANKS FOR YOUR HELP!