News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Guest Rick Research

He is a Marine Infanterie officer--

note only the SINGLE cockade on his cap in Reichs colors.

Well, I'm definitely no expert, so there's a very great chance that I'm wrong, but..............

isn't that a navy officer's belt he's wearing too? I think he's a Marine officer (but again, I'm probably wrong!)

Oops, Rick beat me to it, and what do you know!!! I wasn't wrong!!!!!

Edited by Mike Dwyer

Guest Rick Research

:beer::cheeky:

Any name or date on the photo? Even the photographer's identity could provide a clue--

1 regular

9 reservist

1 Seewehr

Leutnant possible. I'm ASSUMING he was a Leutnant, with the imperial crown in huge 3-D on his boards, not a rank pip?

• 2 weeks later...

Well, unfortunately the phots had been cut out from an album into which they had been securely pasted, so its not possible to determine if there is anything written on the back.

Rick, you were correct, his shoulder strap bears a large 3D crown, not a rank pip.

His EK2 looks freshly awarded, but there is another ribbon sewn into his button hole beneath it.

Guest Rick Research

Well, I think we can scratch the Seewehr Old Guy from the list, but the others are too close in age for me to guess-- the older I get, the more everybody looks like they are 19.

That is the Oldenburg Friedrich August Cross 2nd class ribbon-- his other pinback being the 1st class. A peculiarity of the old film processes is that some colors come out like negatives, and this is one of them. The dark blue APPEARS lighter than the red stripes. It's just a spectrum trick of the technology.

Well, unfortunately the phots had been cut out from an album into which they had been securely pasted, so its not possible to determine if there is anything written on the back.

The paper on the backs can be removed by careful use of a damp sponge, gentle rubbing, and an artist's brush and water for the stubborn bits.