News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Unmarked Musical Cap Badges

Hi there,

These musical themed cap badges have always been some of my faves, being a musician and all. I was wondering if anybody could ID which country and which war these are from. The first one I think is British WW2 issue. Any ideas? Please post your musical badges for comparison and viewing as well.

Thanks,

Pat

• 6 months later...

Can anyone help out with the ID on these cap badges? I am still not sure on if they are Canadian or another part of the Commonwealth (or perhaps another country?). Please post your examples if you have a match also.

Cheers and many thanks in advance,

Pat

Pat,

Sorry to disappoint you but these aren't cap badges they're bandsmens badges and would be found located on the right arm. The top badge is a Bandmasters rank badge and I've attached a photo of a Bandmaster, Northumberland Fusiliers which show's the more ornate cloth version. Not really sure about the second one which would normally be worn on the upper right arm, but it's of a different pattern to what I've normally seen.

[attachmentid=60494]

Pat,

Looked at the second badge again and to be honest it doesn't look like a British military bandsmans badge, as the wreath on this one is much too big.

Graham.

I'd agree that no. 2 isn't (Br.) military - maybe a civilian band in the military style? Certainly the well polished crown on no. 1 looks like a soldier's badge, but whose soldier is trickier except to say it has a British/Empire look about it.

Graham

The arm badge loks very similar to no. 1 but how would one affix the brass one to a sleeve? Would it not be a cap or collar with the pin fastening? Puzzled.

Peter

Peter,

Bandsmans badges as can be seen in the photo of the Bandmaster and having looked at my sources come in two size's large and small. Bandsmen wore a similar badge to the Bandmasters in a smaller size only, these badges were usually held in place with a backing plate. Regimental bands of all British Army bands do not wear these badges in collars or caps, they continue to wear regimental badges. These badges denote that the wearer is a proficient musician, and the Bandmaster carries the rank of W.O.I, hence his dress, which is that of an officer.

The other bandsmans badge which is of the same pattern to the above, but minus the crown, seems to pre-date the crowned version and both of these patterns of bandsmens badges can be found in gilding metal, white metal, gold wire and worsted.

I'll see if I have an illustration of the badge minus the crown.

Graham.

Edited by Graham Stewart

• 6 months later...

[attachmentid=60591]

The same badge without the crown and described as worn by bandsmen of "unofficial bands" i.e. Cadet Corps Bands, Squadron Bands(RAF), Royal Naval Bands and band boys attached regimental bands.

Graham.

As I recall these are'nt separate strikings of the lyre badge but are the badge with crown but with crown snapped off?

Anybody got the RA large lyre badge? I just have an old bullion one.

Everything about us was 'unofficial' as I recall :D Station Bandmasters must have had a great deal of autonomy in selecting uniform accoutrements, and they only reported to the Station Commander so there were variations in uniform add-ons on different Stations. The bandmaster was the only professional musician, the other members being volunteers with other 'real jobs' in the Air Force

Uniform was normally a modified No. 5 Best Blue with a single inverted chevron on both lower sleeves, shoulder frogs and 1" wide stripe down outside trouser seams, all in old gold. Normal rank badges on upper sleeve and the lyre badge on the wedgie or peaked cap.

Edited by Ken MacLean