News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Shoulderstrap authentication

I know nothing about WW1 german straps, but this one just looks too clean to me. Maybe later-made traditions piece? Unit in question is the Royal Prussian J?ger-Batallion Nr. 27. Is the grey(ish?) color correct for j?ger uniforms, which all the sources mention being green? And the number? Does that seem correct? As far as I know, it was ordered to be removed from the straps in the spring of 1917, when the battalion was transfered to Libau for training.

The only picture I got, I'll see if I can get more.

Thanks,

Pete

[attachmentid=49797]

I know nothing about WW1 german straps, but this one just looks too clean to me. Maybe later-made traditions piece? Unit in question is the Royal Prussian J?ger-Batallion Nr. 27. Is the grey(ish?) color correct for j?ger uniforms, which all the sources mention being green? And the number? Does that seem correct? As far as I know, it was ordered to be removed from the straps in the spring of 1917, when the battalion was transfered to Libau for training.

Pete,

The imperial German army had a numbering system that covered all of the regiments (except Bavaria, which was numbered seperately). I could be wrong, but I believe this strap would be for the 27th regiment which was Infanterie-Regiment Prinz Louis Ferdinand von Preu?en (2. Magdeburgisches) Nr.27, not a J?ger-Batallion.

Pete,

Thanks for showing this piece, a very desirable one to shoulder strap collectors (like me!). This is a M15 pattern introduced in September of 1915 with the universal Bluse. It was also worn with the M10/15 tunics that were still in production. This is a J?ger piece, specifically from the 27.J?ger Bataillon. According to British intelligence, there was also a reserve battalion that was attached to the 202nd Division in 1917. But Hermann Cron only mentions a 27.J?ger Bataillon, which was raised during the war in order to train a group of Finnish volunteers. It only existed from May 1916 to February 1918. Cron's postwar work lists the reserve J?ger battalions only up to number 26 (though a number 31 was created at the end of 1916, it never served in the field).

Chip

• 6 months later...

Pete,

I was clearing out my inbox on the forum and ran across one of your messages. Before I clear it off, I just wondered what ever happened to you and the 27.J?ger shoulder strap? It was all quite a mystery to me as you never replied to any of my messages. It appears that you have dropped off of the forum too, as there have been no posts from you since last summer (2006). Anyway, I hope that I helped you in some small way. Good luck.

Chip

The only picture I got, I'll see if I can get more.

Thanks,

Pete

[attachmentid=49797]