News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

1940 Issue Heer Belt Buckle

Hello all,

I have this in a generic uniform and insignia post, but it belongs here now. This is a nice 1940 model year R.S. &S made Heer (or maybe Kriegs) belt buckle with leather stabilizer and nice markings on the back of the buckle (R.S. & S.) and on the leather strap (Richard Siepert & Sohne Ludenscheid 1940). The maker of the RS&S belt buckle is Richard Siepert & Sohne of Ludenscheid. Apparently, this maker was one of the few makers of Kriegsmarine belt buckles and this buckle might actually be a Kriegs buckle. If anyone else can correct me on this or let me know if it is in fact a buckle made for the Kriegsmarine (a similar belt by this maker, just different year, is on sale at TRD online that is Kriegs). Overall, a nice early war buckle in my view. Thanks for looking and if anyone knows more about the possibility of this actually being a Kriegs buckle, or just to confirm it is a regualar Heer buckle is welcome.

Cheers,

Pat

Hi. By the sounds of it, the Kriegsmarine buckle you are referring to is the coastal artillery buckle that was worn by KM personel. In my opinion, this looks like a regular army (Heer) buckle. It's full on legit but not naval. If it was Naval, it should have the naval stamp on the tab (an eagle with an M underneath).

R.S.S did in fact make naval buckles in gold gilt but these are quite hard to find. Here is my example. Of all the buckles I have seen like this, they have always (and only) been R.S.S. buckles.

Have a look at the tab too: you'll see the KM stamp I was referring to!

Cheers!

Rob

[attachmentid=50315]

Thanks Rob :cheers:

That is one sweet Coastal Artillery buckle you have there, and mine definitely doesn't have that stamp so a Heer buckle it is! It is nice to see the different variations of this maker, with your rare example in gilt being exceptionally nice,

Cheers,

Pat

Hi Pat! Glad you like the buckle. I guess I should have been a little "clearer" in my explanation. The gold naval buckle I showed isn't considered coastal artillery. It's pure navy though some marines may have worn it on land.

The blue/black buckle is the one considered to be coastal art. I didn't show mine the first time 'round as it doesn't have a tab...if it did, it should have the KM stamp.

But, yes, the blue black buckle is legit, though many collectors beleive that these were late war issued to the Army. My example is mid-war though so it just adds more fuel to the fire! :P

This example if from Gustav Brehmer.

Cheers!!

Rob

[attachmentid=50335]

Thanks for clarifying Rob, and I'll say it again, nice Coastal Artillery buckle! :P:P (the blue one that is!) But seriously, your collection of buckles must be pretty complete, as you have shown some nice buckles that illustrate the different types very well, and how to tell if it is kriegsmarine or not. For us beginners, even what may be considered basic knowledge to the "old-timers" is still news to alot of us, as good reference books have been out of print for many years, and harder to find still nowadays. Great info and keep those buckles coming!

Cheers,

Pat