News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Police Officer's Tschako with Parade Plume

Hello,

Here is an officer's grade chutzpolizei Tschako with the very hard to find parade plume. The plume is made of buffalo hair, which is very fine and a bit hard to work with. The small elastic strap intended to hold the end of the plume is present on this Tschako, but has lost its elasticity. These plumes were worn very rarely, and most were lost as the war progressed. They do, however; make quite a striking impression when worn on the Tschako. Gendarmerie officers wore exactly the same Tschako but with brown lacquered leather fittings rather than black as shown here.

[attachmentid=53128]

[attachmentid=53129]

Enlisted ranks wore a coarser black horsehair plume of the same design, and musicians a red plume in buffalo for officers and horsehair for enlisted ranks. I have personally never seen a red example and would love to see one if someone out there has one.

Regards,

Bill Unland

Edited by W.Unland

Guest Rick Research

How does that actually fit in behind the cockade? Is it a separate piece entirely, or was it made as PART of the national colors cockade, as a distinct "parade dress" cockade assembly?

I've never seen one to handle.

Dear Rick,

The plume is a seperate piece with a rounded wire loop just like the kokarde. I found that its loop is just a bit smaller and just fits inside the kokarde's loop, and then they both slide into the slot, mated as it were.

Regards,

Bill Unland

Edited by W.Unland