News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Black Painted Wehrmacht Belt Buckle

Hello there,

I just got this ww2 German Army belt buckle in a group of souvenirs my grandpa brought back from Germany and had a question about the black paint. I haven't really seen any with the paint and was wondering if it denoted a specific branch of the Heer or Wehrmacht, as I am of the understanding that most of these were silver. My grandpa fought in 1944-45 so it would definitely be a late-war pick-up. Any info on this type of buckle is welcome and very helpful.

Cheers,

Pat

Thanks Dave,

Maybe someone will be able to tell if it is Navy or not, too bad the leather was missing, we could have looked for the stamp! It is a neat buckle though, if only my grandpa could remember where (or more precisely, whom from) exactly he got this over there :blush:

Cheers,

Pat

• 1 month later...

Hi! Sorry to be late getting to this! What you have is considered by some collectors to be a late war issue Heer buckle. Other collectors tend to consider these types of dark buckles worn by members of the coastal artillery manning the Atlantic wall.

I have one such example in my collection. It is dark with actually a tinge of blue in it. Mine is marked GB (gustav brehmer) and dated 1943.

Hope this info helps!

CHeers!

Rob

Thanks Rob for that info,

It does make sense as a Coastal Artillery buckle, but I know to avoid snipers some army buckles were painted dark as well. A great buckle that I am so happy my old gramps passed on to me, will be in my collection to the end!

Cheers,

Pat