News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

I need help on this badge...

It the pin of a member of the German-Austrian Alpenverein. This was/is a civilian association pin, which I understand was worn by some soldiers to indicate their affiliation with the group. It was never sanctioned for wear with the uniform, however.

Chip

Guest Rick Research

Leutnant der Reserve Erich Kohler of 11th Company/ Bavarian Reserve Infantry Regiment 12 was killed in action 7 June 1918 in the Logeast Wood near Buequoy. He is buried in Grave 737, Block 4 of War Cemetery Neuville-St. Vaast.

[attachmentid=63008]

Riley,

Just for clarification, the Edelwei? pin that Rick has shown you in his period photograph is not the same pin that you have pictured. Though the design is nearly the same, the badge you have shown has additionally the letters "DOAV" in the center on the gold part of the flower. The official military version did not have these letters.

Chip