News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Ribbon ID on Gen Lemay's rack

Mike Page

General Curtis Lemay in this photo is wearing a ribbon directly after his Air Medal ribbon which at first glance looks like a USN Expeditionary, only it's not. I suspect it is in recognition for his 1938 flight of XB-17's to South America; for that feat he (and others) received the Mackay Trophy. My question is: what ribbon is it?

Contemporary USAF recipients of the Mackay Trophy are recognized by the Air Force Recognition Ribbon, btw.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Curtis_..._%28USAF%29.jpg

Edited by Mike Page

Here is the rack in question

Obviously NOT a second Air Medal ribbon, although design is similiar.

If Navy Expeditionary it is seriously out of place.

Could be a foreign award as he had a few, but again out of place.

There is a ROTC award that has matches, but I seriously doubt it.

I am stumped . . . as well.

Edited by David S

From the USAF site http://www.af.mil/bios/bio.asp?bioID=6178

His distinguished service has won him many awards and decorations from his government, as well as from foreign governments. The United States has awarded him the Distinguished Service Cross, the Distinguished Service Medal with two oak leaf clusters, the Silver Star, the Distinguished Flying Cross with two oak leaf clusters, the Air Medal with three oak leaf clusters, the Distinguished Unit Citation with oak leaf cluster, the American Defense Service Medal, the American Campaign Medal, the European-African-Middle Eastern Campaign Medal with three service stars, the Asiatic-Pacific Campaign Medal with four service stars, the World War II Victory Medal, the Army of Occupation Medal with the Berlin Airlift emblem, the Medal for Humane Action and the National Defense Service Medal.

His foreign decorations include the British Distinguished Flying Cross; the French Legion of Honor-Degree of Commander, and the Croix de Guerre with Palm; the Brazilian Order of the Southern Cross, and the Order of Aeronautical Merit, the Russian Order of Patriotic War-1st Degree; the Belgian Croix de Guerre with Palm; the Moroccan Oissam Alaouite, the Chilean Order of Merit and Medalla Militar de Primera Clase; the Argentinean Order of Aeronautical Merit--Grade of Grand Official and Grade of Grand Cross; the Swedish Commander of the Grand Cross of the Royal Order of the Sword; the Ecuadorian Order of Aeronautical Merit (Knight Commander) and the Uruguayan Aviador Militar Honoris Causa (Piloto Commandante).

Yeah it's not the Navy Expeditionary, because that ribbon has blue at the outer edges whereas this one has the yellow all the way to the edges.

I'm certain it's for his 1938 flight, but I can't figre out what the ribbon is (unless the Mackay trophy had its own ribbon back then).

Other Federal/civilian decorations are worn in the order they were awarded, which would make sense in this order.