News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

1908 German Diplomat in Peru?

This photograph was taken in Hamburg in 1905 by A. Mocsigay and signed probably in Lima, Peru in June 4, 1908. I think the person, who's signature I cannot read, must have been a diplomat. The reason I think itmust have been signed in Per? is because June is written in Spanish "Junio", and I found this picture locally. Is it possible to confirm if he was a diplomar or what kind of uniform is it.

Eduardo

Guest Rick Research

That is certainly a diplomatic uniform but ahhhhh

for which COUNTRY?

They all used this same old fashioned French style.

The guard on the sword would help, if it was clear enough to see a national emblem.

Would your please TURN the scan and make a close up of the signature so it is HORIZONTAL _________? Between the very light brown ink on the brown photo and it being written at an angle like // I can't read it. I have tried to improve the contrast, but the angle is still too difficult to read.

I have the Hof-Kalendar 1917 showing German diplomats in Peru and Peruvian diplomats in Germany... but do not find anything which looks like what very little I can make out of the name.

He might have belonged to a THIRD country and given that in Hamburg to someone who went back to Peru. Signatures are notoriously difficult to decipher as scribbles, but I am NOT at all sure that this was written by a German from the handwriting.

Hamburg was a federal state of the German Empire, just like Saxony or Bavaria, and had their own diplomatic representatives at home and abroad.

Because he has no awards, only a Court and State Calendar will help with the name, not the 1908 Orders Almanac.

Guest Rick Research

I think it is: SOMETHING (maybe his title) "G. Kraus"

But it IS just scribbled, and where it is written makes it hard to tell ink from image:

That's the best I can do from your small brown original scan.

I didn't find anybody named Kraus (if I am reading it correctly) still on the job in 1917.

Hello Rick,

Thank you for helping with this diplomat. Here I am sending a better scan of the signature. I am having second thoughts about the nationality. He might be a peruvian diplomat. The name ends with a Z which is commn in Spanish. The script does not corresponds to German script. and the use of "Junio" the only word in the text is in Spanish. Will show the pic to a friend teaching at the Peruvian Diplomats Accademy to see if the uniform coincides. Will continue try in to read the signature only the middle inicial "G" is clear for me.

Eduardo