News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

German 1937 Heer Rank List ?

Hi,

I am trying to find out some information on a named waffenrock I recently obtained. The officers name is Hauptmann Walther 1937. He later became a Oberst in one of the Infantry schools.

The uniform has loops on the right breast for either a German Cross or Spanish Cross.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks.

Gary B

Guest Rick Research

After 1932 they never published another Rank List publicly.

I have the January 1939-- Podzun's 1953 reprint of that secret edition. What UNIT numbers are on the boards? What city was the tailor in?

There were multiple Captain Walthers, so need more specific clues.

• 1 month later...

Hi Rick,

I apologize for my reeeaaaly delayed response. Somehow this fell off my screen with the post holiday festivities....

Anyway to answer your questions, information on the tailor label/uniform:

Hauptmann Walther

Nr: 6754

Dez 37

Berlin Tailor label

Uniform now has Oberst boards with the letter "S" on them (I assume for a school). Uniform is looped for 3 badges on the left and one on the right breast (DKiG??). Additionally there are 5 ribbon loops.

Any help appreciated. Thanks in advance. I wish he had a more unusual name!

Gary

After 1932 they never published another Rank List publicly.

I have the January 1939-- Podzun's 1953 reprint of that secret edition. What UNIT numbers are on the boards? What city was the tailor in?

There were multiple Captain Walthers, so need more specific clues.

Guest Rick Research

Hm. There was a Hauptmann (1.5.34 #13, uniform of Machine Gun Battalion 38) Walther on Staff of the Army Luftschutz School in January 1939 as the ONLY potential infantry CAPTAIN.

A MAJOR (1.8.36 #8) was commander of the 1st Replacements Battalion of Inf Rgt 68, 23rd Division, Wehrkreis III in January 1939 who fits the place, but not time.

The only infantry Walther I find with a German Cross in Gold was Oberst Siegfried Walther, on 10 August 1943 as commander of Grenadier Regiment 20 (motorized). HE had to have been the Oberst (1.1.43 #71) "PzGr"branch shown in the May 1944 Senirority List as on the staff of the Army Flak School of the Infantry.

Some confusion-- I'm confused, anyway-- about rank dates and Waffenfarbe not quite matching up, but I don't see who else it could have been with that name. It is "Walther" with an H?

Dear Rick,

From what you have told me I believe the waffenrock would have belonged to would be Oberst Siegfried Walther. Assuming he was a Hauptmann in 1937, I believe it is possible for him to have risen to Oberst by 1943. Does your list show what other awards Oberst Walther was awarded?

Thanks again.

Gary B

Hm. There was a Hauptmann (1.5.34 #13, uniform of Machine Gun Battalion 38) Walther on Staff of the Army Luftschutz School in January 1939 as the ONLY potential infantry CAPTAIN.

A MAJOR (1.8.36 #8) was commander of the 1st Replacements Battalion of Inf Rgt 68, 23rd Division, Wehrkreis III in January 1939 who fits the place, but not time.

The only infantry Walther I find with a German Cross in Gold was Oberst Siegfried Walther, on 10 August 1943 as commander of Grenadier Regiment 20 (motorized). HE had to have been the Oberst (1.1.43 #71) "PzGr"branch shown in the May 1944 Senirority List as on the staff of the Army Flak School of the Infantry.

Some confusion-- I'm confused, anyway-- about rank dates and Waffenfarbe not quite matching up, but I don't see who else it could have been with that name. It is "Walther" with an H?

Edited by Gary B