News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

When did M43 Cap come into use in Heer

The attached photo is of Blenheim MkIV Z6163 of 500 Sqn that went missing over Northern France 28 Nov 41.

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f133/bea...sFlugzeugII.jpg

My question is: could this photo have been taken in November1941? The officer on the left appears to be wearing an M43 cap. Was the M43 issued to Heer as early as 1941?

Guest Rick Research

Mountain troops were already issued the style, with a shorter bill. That derived from both Austrian and German caps of similar design worn by alpine/ski troops since WW1.

Incongruous as Northern France would seem as a ? location, that is exactly what the officer in foreground right is wearing.

Thanks Rick,

Subsequent replies to the thread suggest that the a/c had ditched on the day of loss and had been fished out of the drink some time later by the Germans. This would, I suppose, eliminate the incongruity of an M43 being worn in late 1941.

Cheers, Ken