News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Medal for Zeal

kimj

I got this medal together with some other (non-russian) stuff in an auction. The medal looks nice with patina and good detail. What I am more curious about is the ribbon. From what I understand this is a ribbon that is ok for the medal of Zeal. But why is it attached with a hole made in the ribbon? Is this common or...

/Kim

Hello Kim,

First of all, I am NOT an expert on the genre. However, for what it is worth, I have been 'studying' Imperial Russian medals/decorations for the last several years or so. Given that, here goes. The ribbon is a Saint Anna (Anne) type. I believe that means it was awarded for civilian versus military zeal (which would have been suspended on a red & white St.Stanislaus ribbon). However, since they were not named like Brit decorations, who can ACTUALLY say minus a reliable provenance. We will really NEVER know for certain.

As for why the suspension ring goes through 'a hole' on the ribbon.......I would venture a guess that the seller did NOT have a period-type Imperial suspension device (which can now be had for about $20.00). During the later portion of the Imperial epoch, medals and decorations were suspended on metal devices LARGER than the later Soviet, cheap styles. They were NOT suspended EVER, to my limited knowledge, in the fashion so depicted in your photo.

Happy collecting!

Jaybo

Thank you for your input Jaybo.

I'm not into czarist awards at all, so the diffrent ribbon fact was new to me. I guess a cheap way of awarding two categories of people.

As for the ribbon I do know that it's not regulation. But civilians could get away with a lot. I'm not saying it's 100% OK as I don't know this stuff. Although it would make more sense to me if the ribbon had been just pushed through the loop. I mean since it is sewn anyway. Also the seller sold this as "Military medals?". So I don't think he knew what it was. Before that... who knows.

/Kim