News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Pistol Relic River find in Transylvania.

Kev in Deva

Hallo Gents,

this weekend we are entertaining our "God-Children" stems from a quaint Romanian tradition which normally involves the childs god-parents being involved in the wedding ceremony when the children get married, in this case I inherited my wife's niece, as her original "God-Parants" from the time of her baptism, could'nt make it to the wedding last year. At the wedding I got to give away the bride at the Registery Office ceremony and at the Orthadox Church wedding on the same-day.

Well Cosmina & Eugen arrived this morning for a visit and Eugin told me he had a piece of militaria that his brother had found in the river Mures last Autum, they were moving sand and gravel from the river when from under a large stone about 4 meters down they turned up this:

The barrel length is 16,5 cm. The silver nuts and bolts he added to keep it from falling apart, the barrel is hexagonal in shape on the outside, and the chamber was fitted for 5 shots, with the back of the chambers being fitted for "nipples", the bullets being hand loaded, after the approprite charge of black-powder is poured into the chambers.

The original wooden grips are still there and the pattern can still be seen on the wood, which is now a rusty red colour.

If you need to see bigger pictures please PM me your email address.

Kevin :beer:

Edited by Kev in Deva

Hi Kevin

It looks like a Beaumont Adams, model 1855, 1856 or 1860, five shot calibre .44. They were made by London Armoury and Robert Adams Company in England. There are differences between the models, barrel length and minor details but I could only find one good picture of one of the models.

I could also be a revolver by William Tranter, which is an improved Adams. They came in at least 6 different calibers from .36 and up. The earliest were percussion and the latest ones took centre fired cartridges. I got one cartridge in .50. This model got a lot of variations on barrel length, hammer types and other details details.

Kjell

Edited by ksg

Hi Kevin, It looks like a Beaumont Adams, model 1855, 1856 or 1860, five shot calibre .44. They were made by London Armoury and Robert Adams Company in England. There are differences between the models, barrel length and minor details but I could only find one good picture of one of the models. Kjell

Hallo Kjell, many thanks for the super quick answer, :speechless1: A beer on me in the Lounge for that :cheers:

It looks very close, a few minor differences but I put that down to model changes over the time between 1855 - 1856 - 1860.

Apparently remains of a rifle were found nearby but as that was in better condition it was handed into the police!!!

Kevin. :beer: