News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Document KVK2 Class without SWords

Interesting award document to a technician with the Kriegsmarinewerft (Naval Dockyard) at Kiel. Those employed in "military" type war work, even if not at the front, usually received the "with Swords" version. Working in the KMW at Kiel (formerly the Howaldtwerke) suggests possible involvement in the U-Boat construction programme. Unusual for someone in such a position to get the without Swords.

Guest Rick Research

What a weird award document format!!!!

Ah, but you see--

Strauss was a "technical EMPLOYEE"-- he was a CIVILIAN working for the navy, and THAT is why he got the "no swords." Adjutant Rudolf Nitsche (Crew 1932, Korvettenkapit?n (Ing) 1.2.44 #3) would have gotten HIS "with swords" KVK2

simply because Wehrmacht "uniforms" got swords, regardless of where they were or how far removed from the sound of guns.

No UNIFORMED Wehrmacht member would have gotten a KVK without swords, even when off beyond bomber range at a desk in Germany.

On the other hand, CIVILIANS who normally got "no swords" COULD get "with swords" if they were in direct enemy action. My Reichsbank Oberinspektor Sprungmann got a KVK2X (I have the congratulations letter, not the award document itself) for air raid merit in Hamburg-- tin hat and an armband service, but under mortal peril and enemy fire.

A Luftwaffe Flak Oberleutnant I knew got his KVK2X for FIVE YEARS sitting at a listening post on the Rhein, in no more danger in all that time than hearing motors in the air overhead. He called his "with swords" routine military award the "Sitzflesichorden."

A couple of years back, someone I have lost touch with gave me permission to post two KVK documents signed by the same Luftwaffe general in Italy-- a military support unit one "mX" and... a civilian contract air base PLUMBER "ohne."

Rick,

I'd agree with you re military personnel. It would be unusual - but not unknown - to see them getting a KVK without Swords.

I think the lines were much fuzzier between "with" and "without" for civvies though.

For uniformed auxiliaries as here, no real surprise that a "with" was presented. They may have been serving in an area where enemy attack was likely and could have come under fire.

Guest Rick Research

Granny might have gotten hers for pulling people out of a burning building during an air raid.

I'd agree on the incomprehensible FISHING Xs award...

unless they were SWORD fish and "fought back!" cheeky.gif

In the course of my ribbon bars research, people often ask me about "no swords" awards to Waffen SS members--

the answer there is that they were NOT always at the front, and very often were back on cycling-through duties at extermination camps.

That's the thing about no swords KVKs-- they could be given for everything from collecting for the Winterhilfs drives... to committing genocide.

I'd rate a KVK2 with swords to a civilian HIGHER than an EK2. Unlike the military, where if someone earned an award-- they got it-- civilians suffered from an annual QUOTA on awards, so many per each specific level that could bestow them. In 1942, a Kreisleiter could hand out 50 KVKs in a calendar year-- but a Landrat was only given permission to put in for 3. Period!

Here's Sprungmann's congratulations on KVK2X--

[attachmentid=6776]

And here is his exremely rare civilian "mention in dispatches" (I'll elaborate on this and these sorts of "MIDs" in some other thread) from Reichsminister Funk himself, giving full details of almost singlehanded action in saving the Reichbank facilities in Hamburg during the "Fire Storm" raids--

[attachmentid=6777]

Note that despite reckless bravery, literally invaluable initiative and selfless action, under horrifying, terrifying circumstances, buried in there with all the well-deserved praise is in effect

"Oh yeah, you just GOT a KVK2X, so more congrats on that, 'cause nothing else wearable for you." speechless.gif

• 2 weeks later...
    Guest Rick Research

That IS an unusual one! love.gif "Employee" is the sort of clerical bottom level that usually got a KVM. This is also an EARLY award for such a civilian--

did anything else come with this to help explain the mystery, or was this a lone document we'll never know more about?

All alone i'm afraid Rick, picked it up for pennies on milliweb. No one else even bid on it....which was nice. I actually did a double take when i first saw it, i'm so used to seeing m/ S that i missed the lack of cutlery on this one speechless.gif

I'm rather chuffed with it actually biggrin.gif

• 1 month later...
    • 6 months later...

Rick Research and Gordon - Just to add some info on Schutte and the "fishing" awards. Knew I had seen his name before.

The proposal came from Minister Backe who wrote " Damit sind die unter erschwerten Kriegsumst?nden verdienten Leistungen unserer Kameraden der Hochseefischerei (deep-sea fishery), die in der Ausweitung unserer Nahrungsfreiheit eine ganz besondere Bedeutung haben, anerkennend herausgestellt worden"

translates something like :

Thus we appreciate the achievements of our comrades of the deep sea fishery, earned under less favourable war circumstances, who in the expansion our food liberty have a completely special meaning"

[but Gordons german will be better than mine.]

His name is mentioned in the relations with deep sea fishing and his ship V 414 formerly "sachsenwald" but it is noted that Ernst Willhelm Sch?tte was the commander of the Wetterbeobachtungsschiff 7 [Weather Observing Ship] Steamer/Dampfer "Sachsenwald", 693 BRT when he won his on 12.8.44. [interesting aside the Sacshenwald saved five survivors when the "Bismarck" sunk in May 1941.]

Incidentally there is some confusion with records that suggest he died on 6.8.44 but looks ok in his photo!

This is likely because North of Ile d' Yeu a British Navy Group with CL Bellona and the DD's Tartar, Ashanti, Haida and Iroquois sank Vp-Boot 414 (ex "Sachsenwald") on 06.08.1944. It would appear that he survived this to claim his RK KvK.

I assume his award with swords took into consideration the "additional" work his ship was doing!

[info from several posts on the AHF care of 'Dieter Zinke' and 'Mjolnir']

Regards

Matt Gibbs

Edited by MattGibbs

Guest Rick Research

:Cat-Scratch: I love the obscure "rest of the story!" :beer:

In my 1954 German merchant marine losses, I show Hapag steamer "Sachsenwald" of 6,267 BRT "Launched 1945" which is either a typo (NOTHING civilian was launched in 1945!!!) or she was refloated--

surrendered to the Soviets as war reparations 16 March 1946 and renamed "Dmitri Pozharski."