News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Servicepersons medal entittlement

nzgsm

Hi all,

What would a US servicepersons medal entittlement be once he or she graduated from basic training? NDSM,GWOT?

thanks in advance.

Unfortunately, I'm not exactly sure of what the medal rules are right now. I know at one time in the past a new recruit received the NDSM. I don't recall if it was after basic training or advanced individual training. I do know I didn't get one, which still pisses me off to this day. There was a fairly short period of time when they quit awarding the NDSM just for being on active duty. There was a concern that it was being given away too freely, so sometime in the late 1970's they stopped. I went through basic training in 1977 and I still recall the drill sergeants sitting us all down on the grass one day and explaining to us why we would not receive the NDSM. Later they re-instituted giving the NSDM, but those of us who were in during that particular time don't qualify for one! It was re-instituted a few months AFTER my discharge from the army.

Edited by Mike Dwyer

These are the periods the NDSM is bestowed

June 27, 1950 to July 27, 1954 for service during the Korean War

January 1, 1961 to August 14, 1974 for service during the Vietnam War

August 2, 1990 to November 30, 1995 for service during the Gulf War

September 11, 2001 to a date to be announced for service during the War on Terrorism

The Army Servoce Ribbon was insttuted in 1981.

This ribbon is bestowed on completion of Initial Entry Training (BCT, OCS . . etc) .

These are the periods the NDSM is bestowed

June 27, 1950 to July 27, 1954 for service during the Korean War

January 1, 1961 to August 14, 1974 for service during the Vietnam War

August 2, 1990 to November 30, 1995 for service during the Gulf War

September 11, 2001 to a date to be announced for service during the War on Terrorism

The Army Servoce Ribbon was insttuted in 1981.

This ribbon is bestowed on completion of Initial Entry Training (BCT, OCS . . etc) .

Thanks, David, for the information on the NDSM. That was my problem, I entered active duty in March 1977 and left active duty in March 1990. Came in too late and left too soon!

My grandfather was commissioned in the spring of 1954 in the United States Army, served 4 years active and 2 years reserve and was discharged in 1960. The only medal listed on his DD-214 is the National Defense Service Medal-and he was an O-3 when he got out.

Edited by Andwwils