News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

I picked this up at SOS this year.

It is a Bortfeld Model 1902 pattern naval style Tropenhelm, which was issued to naval landing parties and marine units such as the III. Seebatallion. The rear of this model features a unique fold up design. This example features the stamp: "WAARENHAUS F?R ARMEE UND MARINE."

German_m98_big1.jpg

German_m98_big2.jpg

German_m98_big3.jpg

Nice!! Now that has to be rare to survive in such great condition! Did the German Navy have regualr marine units attached to it like the US Navy does...or was it organized differently? Where these the same pith helmets that were used by the German forces in SW Africa during WWI? :cheeky:

Hey have you played Red Orchestra lately? I know it was not your favorite Peter, but the new map mods are fantasic!

Nice!! Now that has to be rare to survive in such great condition! Did the German Navy have regualr marine units attached to it like the US Navy does...or was it organized differently? Where these the same pith helmets that were used by the German forces in SW Africa during WWI? :cheeky:

Hey have you played Red Orchestra lately? I know it was not your favorite Peter, but the new map mods are fantasic!

I do believe the German Navy had regular marine units, and this style of helmet was used by their forces in the Far East including China and the Pacific islands. I don't believe this style of helmet was used in SW Africa however. I know pith helmets were used German East Africa, but in German SW Africa the troops used the S?dwester slouch hat.

This site has some excellent information:

http://www.germancolonialuniforms.co.uk/

And no Red Orchestra lately. I've been too busy, but I'll have to check it out.

Peter,

A very nice helmet indeed. These are few and far between, especially in good condition. Yours looks excellent. The III. See Batl. wore this style helmet, but just for clarification, not with this front plate. Here is my example, made from aluminum for China duty. Sorry for the scan, but the plate is convex and does not show up well.

Chip

Hey Chip--

Any idea which units may have worn the plate on my helmet? I just knew that it was worn by III. See Batl., but I didn't know much beyond it. There seems to be little reference material on German helmet badges for their colonial forces.

Follow up:

My research suggests it is for Imperial colonial forces, and was used by German East Asiatic forces.

Edited by Peter_Suciu

Peter,

I believe that this plate was worn by naval troops (not See Batl.) and also by the East Asia Expeditionary Corps and the later Asian Corps. Most other khaki cork helmets were worn either without an eagle at all or with the See Batl. eagle and anchor.

Chip

I believe that this plate was worn by naval troops (not See Batl.) and also by the East Asia Expeditionary Corps and the later Asian Corps. Most other khaki cork helmets were worn either without an eagle at all or with the See Batl. eagle and anchor.

Right, I meant the helmet pattern was worn by See Batl., not the plate. Yes, it seems this plate was worn by the East Asian forces. I sure do wish this helmet could tell me it has been.