News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

A couple more to ID

First is George Biddle, who was my Wife's G G Grandfather. Any clues as to his regiment? Back of photo says 1880, which means he would have been 18 at the time of the photo, but he seems to look older to me?

GeorgeBiddle.jpg

The second is from around WW1. No name for this fella I'm afraid. Distinctive cap badge.

WW1.jpg

Again apologies for my lack of knowledge in this subject matter.

Ivan

Edited by Ivan

Came across this in another box of photo's. Not a family member, but any link to the un-named gentleman in the post above??

Alot of my Mother in Laws family came from Worcestershire area so it would likely have been a family friend.

SapperEvans.jpg

Edited by Ivan

Photo 1 looks like 92nd Foot, Gordon Highlanders, photo 2 is Oxfordshire & Buckinghamshire Light Infantry, note the distinctive collar tabs worn by officers of this regiment.

Sorry to be dumb here, but I really do not have a clue regarding Army history etc. :speechless:

The first pic then fits in with my original regiment/medals ID post, pointing to the 92nd Gordons. Those photos tho were of a different person who we think was Joseph Biddle. Did brothers serve with the same regiment back in the 1880/90's?

Also, does the second pic give an indication to the approx period?

Really sorry to be a bit of a thickie when it comes to this!! I do have my talents.... honest!

Edited by Ivan

As today, brothers served in the same units but may equally well serve in different units.

The 2nd photo is of an officer circa WWI, he is not wearing detachable shoulder straps, so post 1904, there are no rank insignia on the shoulder straps, so it will be worn on the cuffs - officer's rank insignia was moved from cuffs to shoulder straps during WWI.

Thanks. The Ox & Bucks Light infantry chap is George Glover, my Mother in Laws Grandfather. She does not really remember him, but her mother used to regale her with stories of how he used to talk about being in Mesopotamia. Her Grandson recently returned from Basra with 26RGT RA. Spooky unknown family connection there.

Again, many thanks.

Ivan