News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Australian Long Service Medals

I stumbled across this site this morning, I have been here before but it wasn't as well laid out as it is now (see link at bottom of page). I have been searching for ages to find an image of the Federation Star that goes on your long service medal riband after 40 yeras of effective service. I have only seen two of these in the flesh, one to my WEEO on HMAS Success, (his first medal is the GSM 1962 with clasp "BORNEO", I think he has about 10 or 11 gongs :speechless1: ), and his boss on there too, the MEO. Both are still serving.

I recommend this site for general overview of Aussie awards. In the past DH&A produced some booklets on Australian awards, though the only place I have seen them for sale was at the Australian War Memorial.

Here is the image of the riband with the star on the Defence Force Service Medal riband, this indicates 5 clasps. With recent changes to age requirements it would be possible to earn 6 clasps if you joined at 17 and retired at 65, as an officer only. Non-commissioned ranks are required to retire at 60 unless they have a special kill set, and if they are still able to pass health and fitness requirements.

Regards;

Johnsy

http://www.defence.gov.au/medals/Content/+010%20Home/

Edited by Tiger-pie

I had to add a couple of photos of the old DFSM. It is known, though not commonly, as the "Pizza Cutter". When I was comparing my DLSM with some old school Warrant Officers in the Army, I referred to theirs as the Pizza Cutter, they were very amused and hadn't heard it called that before. These are courtesy of Defence Honours and Awards.

Regards;

Johnsy