News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Menorcan Military Site

Ivan

Hola,

I originally posted this on the "bunkers and fortifications" forum, without success.

I spotted these on Google Earth looking for secluded coves as I am off to Menorca in August. Any Ideas as to what they are and the period?

Pic 1 and 2 is near Cap De Favaritx. On a walking map I have of the island,the first two pics relate to an area on the map just noted as "old military camp". The two largest circular constructions seem to be too big (130' across) for coastal guns? On Pic 1, to the NW of the top structure and to the approx S of the bottom structure seem to be entry/exit trenches heading underneath the structures?? The others in the second picture could be implacements and seem to look out towards Italy (Elbe?) . Pic 3: near village of Trebaluger near Sant Luis. The antenna(?) in the 3rd pic is not even marked on the 3 maps i have.... odd. Much web searching has proved fruitless. GE community just states "large array" but no real facts/ID/use. Is it too late to be of the Franco era?

Sorry for my ignorance on this subject, as my usual interest surrounds old airfields etc.

Muchus Cracias

Piccy 1

menorca1.jpg

Piccy 2

Menorca2.jpg

1000' antenna?

Antenna.jpg

Edited by Ivan