News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

An opinion, please

Hello All,

I?m writing this post because I would like to know your personal opinion about the following matter:

One of my amusements is to research the full medal entitlement of British High ranking Officers to reproduce they ribbon bars using old silk ribbons.

During my searches a ?Dilemma? came up.

I have studied the medal entitlement of 3 officers :

- Field Marshal Sir Edmund Henry Hynman ALLENBY (1861-1936)

- Marshal of the RAF Hugh Montague TRENCHARD (1873-1956)

- Lieutenant General Sir John Bagot GLUBB (1897-1986)

All these officer received the ?Iraq Order of Al Rafidain?.

This Order has two Divisions : one ?Military? and one ?Civil?. Each of them is suspended from a particular ribbon :

-The ?Military division? is suspended from the ?military type ribbon? that is a red ribbon with 2 black stripes on each edge with a black central stripe;

-The ?Civil division? is suspended from the ?Civil type ribbon? that is a red ribbon with 2 black stripes (of Medium width) near each edge.

Moreover this order is suspended by a ?laurel wreath? that in the ?Civil Division? is plain and - instead - in the ?Military Division? it bears 2 inscribed crossed swords.

All this was established by Iraq Royal Decree istituiting the Order of Al Rafidain.

Returning to the above officers (all of which have received the ?Iraq Order of Al Rafidain?) I noted a strange fact :

ALLENBY, that received the ?Military Division?, had this order suspended by a ?Civil type? ribbon.

TRENCHARD and GLUBB, both received the ?Civil Division? of this order but both Orders were suspended by a ?Military type? ribbons.

In particular, in the case of GLUBB, this Order was OFFICIALLY gazetted as a ?Civil Division? but I have a B/W photograph evidence ? a part what is on display in the Royal Engineers Museum ? that He weared the ?Military type? ribbon on his ribbon bar.

My Question ? about which I would like to hear your precious comment - is :

In mounting the ribbon bars of these 3 Officers must I put in the correct ribbon for the corresponding Division (i.e. Civil type ribbon for Civil Division and Military type ribbon for Military Division as established by the Royal decree) or must I follow what the recipient really weared (also if I know that it was wrong) ?

Awaiting to hear from you

Best Regards

Lilo

Edited by lilo

The wearing of the Civil insignia on the Military ribbon (or vice versa) is a "tailor's error" and not part of the correct structure of the Order.

However, if your aim is to reproduce what these particular individuals wore, you may prefer to mimic their mistakes and perhaps make a note in your accompanying documentation/labelling that it is in fact incorrect but is what the chap in question actually wore.