News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Identification of imperial tunic and sword

Rittmeister,

It is pretty hard to tell from the sections of the photo just exactly what this tunic is. I can say that it is cavalry, a one-year-volunteer and that the number "1" without the serif on the bottom is more typically Bavarian. If you could show the entire picture, the identification could be narrowed down.

The second photo appears to show a group all from the same unit. The difference is that the man in the center is wearing a field gray uniform and the rest have the full color uniforms.

Chip

hi Chip,

Thanks a lot for your help. If you don't mind, I have some follow-up questions;

I can say that it is cavalry, a one-year-volunteer and that the number "1" without the serif on the bottom is more typically Bavarian.

What is the Dienstgrad? To my untrained eye in imperial matters it looks an officer shoulder board.

The second photo appears to show a group all from the same unit. The difference is that the man in the center is wearing a field gray uniform and the rest have the full color uniforms.

I see, so this uniform is what we are accustomed in seeing German soldiers wearing in photos from WW1? Whereas the others are older issues? What colour would they have been?

Rittmeister,

If you could show the rest of the first photo, if would be alot easier to make an identification. The rank is basic recruit or Gemeiner. The name of the rank would depend on the type of unit, Dragoner, Ulan, Husar, Sch?tze, Grenadier, etc.

Regarding the second photo, the color uniforms are most likely dark to medium blue with red collars and cuffs. This was the most common combination for infantry trooops. By regulation, these uniforms were only worn as dress uniforms after 1910, but in practice, as answer to the shortages caused by the war, they continued to be worn for service duties by trainees and other third line troops.

Chip