News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hello all

This badge was bought many years ago on the Flea Market in Paris. It looked old and credible. The ribbon is Nassau Blue with yellow side stripes.

But I still don't know exactly what it is, what State it belonged to and if it has any value.

Thank you for your help and comments.

Veteran

Guest Rick Research

That is the Prussian army (and later also colonial army and imperial navy) Model 1825 (King Friedrich Wilhelm III-- the initials never changed) long service brooch for 21 years service in the enlisted/NCO ranks, worn until 1913. If you post the reverse-- especially if there are any maker marks-- that may help date exactly how old it is over that 88 year period. The age will affect its value.

These are not common. :beer:

Thank you Rick for this useful answer. I had no idea at all what it is. The back shows the bar strongly welded to a metal square and the ribbon sown with black thread. A non-nonsense arrangement, not an elaborate job as a military taylor outfitter would produce.

A quick look into the Nimmergut brings me to mention the badge is 43mm across

I will get you a scan as soon as possible.

All my best to New England ! Are the leaves turning gold yet? Regards

Veteran

Guest Rick Research

The nasty crude back is the way they made them.

Here is a big thread with a lot of different examples of that type of award and from the other German states:

http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=3024

The leaves are falling from drought, not autumn. The middle of the country from Mexico to Canada is under flood water, and we have no rain. But last year, we had average annual rainfall in just 6 weeks during May-June 2006. My river has been at flood stage from 2000 to... this summer. Now it is back down where it always was in August when the frogs and turtles showed up in our yards looking for water. Much more of this dry and we will end up like Greece! :speechless1:

The nasty crude back is the way they made them.

Here is a big thread with a lot of different examples of that type of award and from the other German states:

http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=3024

The leaves are falling from drought, not autumn. The middle of the country from Mexico to Canada is under flood water, and we have no rain. But last year, we had average annual rainfall in just 6 weeks during May-June 2006. My river has been at flood stage from 2000 to... this summer. Now it is back down where it always was in August when the frogs and turtles showed up in our yards looking for water. Much more of this dry and we will end up like Greece! :speechless1:

Thank you ever so much for the wonderful tip you gave me, putting me on all this material which was published on this forum.

I can quite see what you mean : they were a tradition with German States. Mine has seen a lot of service : the ribbon faded to a point, rather fraid on the edges and the pin in the back was broken off. But it certainly looks like the Prussian Army badge for 20+ years of service.

Enjoy your collecting. I sincerely hope to be able to return some help to you one day. Sorry about the trees, the Fall in New-England is usually such a glorious sight.

Cheers

Veteran