News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Vietnam Jacket Research

Hannibal Rex

Hey folks. My first post!

I was wondering if anyone here's had any success researching officer's jackets from the Vietnam era. My main area in clothing is WW2, but I've recently branched out into Vietnam era items.

I have a green fatigue shirt to a Captain Landau of the 4th Infantry Division artillery. The tunic has a color 4th ID patch, a color US RVN patch, a subdued arty cannon collar patch & a subdued captain's bars collar patch. Both the name tape & the US Army tape are also subdued.

Anyone got a clue who this might be? Shot in the dark, but you never know!!!

I can give you a possibility, not a definite.

In the 1966 Officer Register there are two LANDAUs on Active duty, one is Armor, the other is QM

In the 1968 Officer Register there are two LANDAUs, one is Artillery, the other is Finance

LANDAU, BERT G III

0-5234402

Branch: Artillery

Date of Rank: Aug 28 1967

Entry Date: Aug 6 1966

Date of Birth: Aug 11 1942

According to the Register

1) He is serving as an Active Officer

2) He has less than two years of college

Hope this helps

Thanks to David & Rick thus far!

I will definantly request Bert Landau's service papers from NRPC...hopefully they will bare fruit.

Does anyone here collect VN era uniforms? Perhaps we can narrow down the dates a bit more.

Does the color combo of the patches indicate anything? I know at some periods in Vietnam, color patches were worn in the field. Of course, this guy was an arty officer, & perhaps they wore their field uniforms differently than the grunts.

Unfortunantly the jacket has no tagging to it. It isn't a OG-107...it's a heavier jacket, maybe cotton.

I can try to post it for the boards, but I'm new to posting pics to forums and am not positive on how to shrink the photos to fit the forum limits.

David - Are the Officer Registries available in a book/collected copied document format? Available at military bookstores & so forth?

Are the Officer Registries available in a book/collected copied document format? Available at military bookstores & so forth?

They are in a bound format published by and for the US Army, distribution is limited

Published in two volumes-

Volume 1 shows Active duty Officers only, more of a bio format

Volume 2 shows Active, NG, USAR and other officers, the format is basic info only

Not found in military bookstores

Sometimes found at used bookstores in the military section

Most of mine were found on eBay, one was found in a used bookstore

There are Navy and Marine registers as well, but harder to find

Edited by David S